Easy Skillet Flatbread made for just under one hour. Just 6 ingredients and the recipe is perfect for beginners.
If you ever wanted to make bread from scratch, I would recommend starting with this recipe. You probably have all the ingredients and it only takes less than 1 hour. Just enough time to cook another dish, maybe a steak au poivre to go with the flatbreads?
Your pantry is a treasure
These days we stock up our pantry more than ever because of social distancing due to COVID. Who would have thought that we would become more efficient at budgeting and cooking meals with everyday ingredients?
Stocking up your pantry is one of the most natural things to do. Staple foods such as flour and sugar are considered gold ingredients in your pantry. Flour a versatile ingredient is found in cooking and baking. Whether you are baking a Cake a L’Orange or Veal Scallopini, you will always need some type of flour.
All-purpose flour is one of the most commonly used ingredients. It is used in most bread recipes and very affordable.
My go-to brand is King Arthur. Why may you ask? This brand has never failed me. Period!
If you haven’t guessed it yet, the recipe is from King Arthur. It is easy to make and perfect with eggs and my favorite meat sauce. YUMMY!!! I just love bread and meat sauce.
The first thing to do is to clean your workspace. Second, prepare all your ingredients. Third, start making the flatbreads by following the instructions in the recipe section below.
Tips and Notes
- I always use extra virgin olive oil. I like the taste and flavor it adds to the flatbreads.
- I do not use my hands to flatten the bread because my hands are always warm. Using a rolling pin is ideal.
- I always use King Arthur All-Purpose Flour as recommended by the recipe. I have never made it with another type of flour, therefore I cannot comment on it.
- I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer because it
- This recipe is perfect for mini quick pizza. The perfect snack for kids!
- These flatbreads need the perfect dipping sauce. I paired it with Noubess Sorrento Lemon Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil mixed with capers, crushed pepper, and a little bit of salt.
Lastly, nothing was changed from the original recipe from King Arthur Flour Recipe for Skillet Flatbreads.
- 3 cups 361g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons 35g olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup 227g ice water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 25g to 35g vegetable oil, additional for frying
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the oil and ice water, and mix to make a soft, cohesive dough. Adjust with flour or water as needed. The dough should be moist but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer in the pan.
- Divide the dough into 10 to 12 equal pieces. Each piece should weigh about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces, about the size of a large egg. Dredge each piece in flour, and roll to a rough circle or oval, about 1/4″ thick. OR hand shape the pieces by flattening between your palms.
- In batches, fry the flatbreads in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry on the second side for another 2 minutes. Transfer from the pan to a rack to cool slightly before serving. Add more oil as needed for frying successive batches.