Caribbean food is loved by many, but how much do you know about it? This cuisine is a blend of many other cultures, and it offers a variety of choices, which is part of why it is so popular.
Here are 13 things you probably didn’t know about this delicious cuisine:
- A lot of the food is seasoned with marinades known as green seasoning and Mojo, which include things like onions, garlic, scotch bonnet peppers, and more.
- There are a few dishes that are oily or deep-fried. Most meals are barbecue, grilled, or roasted. Meats are wet-marinated or dry-rubbed, with green seasoning, jerk seasoning or other spices.
- Conch, a large sea snail, is a delicacy in Caribbean cuisine.
- Traditional cuisine inspired by Spanish food includes a lot of legumes and beans.
- The advance marinating is a cooking secret, offering healthy cooking without additional butter or oil.
- One of Caribbean cuisine’s secret ingredient is coconut milk.
- This cuisine is full of fruits and vegetables, making it one of the healthiest in the region.
- Seafood is a specialty here, including sea turtle and sea urchin.
- Caribbean cuisine is a melting pot of flavor influences from all of the cultures that have come to the islands, including American, Indian, Chinese, African, Spanish, and more.
- Caribbean cuisine is similar to Creole cuisine and African cuisine so that you may find restaurants in New Orleans.
- Plantains may look like bananas, but they’re a different animal.
- Caribbean cuisine also includes a lot of soups and stews.
- Various spices and seasonings evoke hot, spicy, sweet and tangy, and other flavor variations, offering something for almost every palate with Caribbean cuisine.
What are you waiting for?
Get out there and get your hands on some authentic Caribbean food to find out what you’ve been missing!