Healthy eating isn’t just about watching your waistline or limiting junk food. Here are 20 fun facts about healthy eating to feed your head.
1. Apples float because they are 25% air.
2. Avocado is a fruit. It also has the highest protein content of any fruit.
3. Only 9% of cabbage is plant matter. The other 91% is water.
4. Grazing throughout the day has no effect on fat burning.
5. Honey is considered a food in its own right and also never spoils.
6. There’s more sugar in a lemon than in a strawberry.
7. Cherries are actually related to roses.
8. Blackberries and raspberries are not actually berries.
9. Bananas are herbs.
10. All parts of an egg are good for you and packed with nutrition.
11. Almonds are actually part of the peach family.
12. 96% of a cucumber is made up of water.
13. Sugary drinks are the most fattening food in the Western diet.
14. “Low-fat” usually means “sugar added” and should be considered unhealthy.
15. Fruit juice is really not all that good for you due to its high sugar content (on par with sodas).
16. Health has implications for your entire body and all of its systems, and weight is just one aspect of that.
17. Mindful eating is the best way to control portion size and avoid over-indulging.
18. The older an egg is, the more it will float in water. If it floats on top, it’s bad.
19. Some foods and even entire cuisines can help support reproductive health and fertility.
20. Balanced diets can help support and maintain good moods – health studies show that people who follow a balanced diet tend to have better mental health.
Who knew, right? These are just some of the fascinating facts about food and eating.