The Best Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Macaroni and cheese is a classic comfort food that people of all ages love. It is the perfect dish for a family gathering or a potluck. This baked macaroni and cheese recipe will surely be a hit with everyone who tries it.
Whenever I make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, I constantly change the recipe. I change the recipe because I always search for the perfect blend of cheeses and spices. I love sharp cheese because it adds definition to pasta and bechamel sauce. The sharpness of any cheese can add a delicious taste or destroy the macaroni and cheese recipe.
How about combining cheeses
The right balance of cheese, spices, and milk for Baked Macaroni and Cheese is essential. A sharp cheese mixed with smooth and creamy cheese is the perfect combination for rich flavor.
I am always in pursuit of tasty sharp kinds of cheese. Back home, we made Baked Macaroni and Cheese with a type of Gouda Cheese imported from Holland. That cheese made everything taste so good. And I am not kidding!!! You only needed a small quantity to add tons of flavor.
What’s in the macaroni recipe?
The perfect cheese is crucial with every baked macaroni recipe, and the same goes for pasta noodles. Creamy macaroni and cheese taste better with small noodles, in my opinion. In comparison, medium to large noodles may not.
The ingredients for the baked macaroni
- Rigatoni, Ziti or Elbow macaroni will work also
- Kosher salt for seasoning
- Shallots or red onions will add flavor to the dish.
- Large eggs: to bind the ingredients together
- Evaporated Milk or regular whole milk: for moisture and to cook the pasta
- White pepper: for a subtle kick.
- Paprika: flavor and for a deeper golden color when the top is browning.
- Mayonnaise: to make it creamy and delicious.
- Dijon Mustard: a secret ingredient for baked macaroni and cheese.
- Ketchup: for color and slight sweetness.
- Edam cheese grated: another secret ingredient. This cheese is very popular in perfecting the taste of this baked macaroni and cheese.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: fresh is always better.
Notes and Tips for the Recipe.
- The recipe contains mayonnaise as one of the main ingredients for flavor. You can use any mayonnaise and even a spicy version. Using the recommended amount to mix well with the cheese is also best. Pasta is normally a great comfort food, so it must be made with lots of love.
- Edam cheese is a Dutch and semi-hard cheese. It has a great texture with a smooth finish. It is not as sharp but tastes exceptional when mixed with other cheeses, such as parmesan.
- Gouda cheese, as mentioned earlier, is smooth and creamy. You can choose either regular or smoked gouda. It all depends on the flavor you are looking for. Both types of cheese work well.
- The recipe I created has both. It contains both kinds of cheese because I am searching for that particular taste from the cheese back home. I think I almost accomplished it.
- Dijon mustard is again for flavor. The mustard adds a subtle taste and enhances the flavor of both kinds of cheese. Adding ketchup is just for color. This is a great side dish to enjoy with roast meats.
- If you like Cheddar cheese, use good quality for the best flavor.
- You can use crushed crackers or cereal if you don’t have bread crumbs or want a more crunchy top.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the cheese sauce for a spicier mac and cheese.
- To make ahead, prepare the macaroni and cheese and place the mixture in the pan. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
Hope you enjoy the recipe! Don’t forget to let us know what you think.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb rigatoni ziti or elbow will work also
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup shallots minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk evaporated or regular whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 cups edam cheese grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 4.5 litres (4 quarts) quart baking dish.
- Boil the pasta according to package. Add salt to water before boiling.
- While pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, beat eggs with white pepper and paprika. Whisk in mayonnaise, ketchup and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- In another bowl, blend 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 2 3/4 cup grated Edam cheese. Add egg mixture and stir in shallots.
- Stir in cheese and milk mixture with cooked pasta. Place cooked pasta in the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheeses. Dot with butter and bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes and until the top is brown. Serve hot with a side of vegetable, salad or a meat dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
PLEASE POST THE RECIPE FOR THE DISH YOU HAVE AS YOUR FACE BOOK PAGE.
The dish is called Accra and is listed under appetizers.
This looks fantastic! Mac & cheese is my favorite pasta dish.
One of my favorite also.