Last updated on November 18th, 2022 at 05:58 pm
Whenever I make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, I constantly change the recipe. I change the recipe because I am always in search of the perfect blend of cheeses and spices. I love sharp cheese because it adds definition to pasta and bechamel sauce. The sharpness of any cheese can add a delicious taste or destroy the macaroni and cheese recipe.
How about combining cheeses
The right balance of cheese, spices, and milk for Baked Macaroni and Cheese is a must. A sharp cheese mixed with a smooth and creamy cheese is the perfect combination for rich flavor.
I am always in pursuit of tasty sharp kinds of cheese. Back home, we made Baked Macaroni and Cheese with a type of Gouda Cheese imported from Holland. That cheese made everything taste so good. And I am not kidding!!! You only needed a small quantity to add tons of flavor.
What’s in the macaroni recipe?
With every baked macaroni recipe, the perfect cheese is crucial, and the same goes for pasta noodles. Creamy macaroni and cheese taste better with small noodles, in my opinion. In comparison, medium to large noodles may not.
Let’s talk pasta recipe.
The recipe contains mayonnaise as one of the main ingredients for flavor. You can use any mayo and even a spicy version. It is also best to use the recommended amount so that it mixes well with the cheese. Cooking a great pasta dish is essential.
Edam cheese is a Dutch and semi-hard cheese. It has a great texture with a smooth finish. It is not as sharp, but the taste is exceptional when mixed with other cheeses such as parmesan.
Gouda cheese, as mentioned earlier, is smooth and creamy. You can choose either regular or smoked gouda. It all depends on the flavor you are looking for. Both types of cheese work well.
The recipe I created has both. It contains both kinds of cheese because I am in search of that particular taste from the cheese back home. I think I almost accomplished it.
Dijon mustard is again for flavor. The mustard adds a subtle taste and enhances the flavor of both kinds of cheese. Adding ketchup is just for color. This is a great side dish to enjoy with roast meats.
I hope you like it. Enjoy!
- 1 lb rigatoni ziti or elbow will work also
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup shallots minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk evaporated or regular whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 cups edam cheese grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 4.5 litres (4 quarts) quart baking dish.
- Boil the pasta according to package. Add salt to water before boiling.
- While pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, beat eggs with white pepper and paprika. Whisk in mayonnaise, ketchup and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- In another bowl, blend 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 2 3/4 cup grated Edam cheese. Add egg mixture and stir in shallots.
- Stir in cheese and milk mixture with cooked pasta. Place cooked pasta in the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheeses. Dot with butter and bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes and until the top is brown. Serve hot with a side of vegetable, salad or a meat dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.