This Spicy and Sweet Plantains side dish is not only easy to make but super tasty. It will not last, so always make more than you need.
Baked sweet plantains are the best to enjoy this super vegetable rich in fiber, vitamins A, C, and B-6. Plantains are also rich in magnesium and potassium. They are surely one of the best ingredients to add to your weekly meal planning.
Baked, boiled, fried, plantains will always taste good. Add your favorite condiment or seasoning and spices to take this wonderful to the next level that your palate will crave.
The best way to enjoy sweet plantains is baking. The baking method allows you to use less oil and is healthier. It is also easy and requires less effort. Peel the skin off, slice, season, and bake!
The Ingredients you need to make this sweet plantains recipe
A 4-ingredients recipe is perfect for any quick snack.
- Ripe yellow plantains: peeled and sliced: not too ripe and not too unripe. Plantains are available in more supermarket than ever.
- Noubess Beay Monde Seasoning: A traditional French spice blend, Beau Monde Seasoning is the perfect balance of celery, bay leaves, cloves, and other aromatic herbs and spices.
- Salt, to taste. Always use in moderation. Use kosher, sea salt, or himalyan salt.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: as always agood brand. extra virgin olive oil is lighter than regular olive oil.
How to make Baked Spicy Sweet Plantains
One of the best pieces of baking equipment needed to make this dish is a baking/cooking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Rinse plantains and wipe dry. To remove the peel, cut the ends first and make a shallow slit along with one of the seams of the skin. Carefully remove skin and cut about 0.5cm (0.25″) thick. Add pieces to a bowl.
- Add oil, salt, Noubess Beau Monde Seasoning and mix gently until all pieces are well coated. Arrange the plantain slices in a single layer on a nonstick baking/cooking sheet or a line a baking sheet with aluminium foil for easy. cleaning.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and turn over each piece individually. Continue baking for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a plate and enjoy
Notes and Tips
- Use ripe plantains or yellow plantains only.
- Use any variety seasoning blend you prefer. Check out Noubess.com for seasoning blends.
- You can also use salt and pepper if you prefer.
- Always make more. Use 1 – 2 plantain per person.
- Don’t over season. You still want to taste the natural sweetness of the plantains.
- Bake and not fry! This method works best when you season the plantains. It is healthier and requires less effort in the kitchen.
Here’s the recipe!