Mornings are usually filled with to-do lists. The word list is plural because this is just the way it is; we create lists, so we don’t forget the many tasks we need to accomplish. One important task we might forget to do is eating a proper breakfast. There are so many fast and quick breakfast items that I have gotten a bit lazy lately. Because I am often on the run, I tend to look for
There are so many fast and quick breakfast items that I have gotten a bit lazy lately. Because I am often on the run, I tend to look for easily made breakfast. Bread with peanut butter is a staple food at my house. I can eat it anytime. It is easy, fast and convenient. But what happens on the weekends when I don’t have to rush? I try to pamper my stomach when I can.
I remembered Aunty “Tante” Jeanne used to make many dishes from the Caribbean. Because she traveled a lot and lived abroad for a while, many of her dishes were typical islands foods. One dish she seldom made was Baked Sweet Potato with Egg. She would use either the white sweet potato called “batatas or patate” or yams. Whatever was available, she used.
I prefer using yams because several spices enhance the flavor. Fennel is one of the several spices I like using and especially with root vegetables. I have tried the same dish with white sweet potato and fennel, and the taste is not the same. Sweet Yam is the winner when using with roasted ground fennel. For white sweet potato, spices such as nutmeg, salt and pepper are not bad at all.
Baked Egg with Sweet Potato is just mashed sweet potato with an egg baked in the oven. A well is formed in the mashed potato for the egg, and everything is placed in the oven for about 15 minutes or so. Another way to treat your stomach on the weekend.
- 1 medium Sweet Potato yam or sweet potato
- 1/2 tablespoon Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dash of Sweet Paprika
- Dash of Roasted Ground Fennel
- 1 - 2 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 - 2 Egg 2 eggs depending on your need
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Ground Black Pepper
- Dot of butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Add sweet potato with skin in a pot with water and bring to a boil. When fully cooked (after inserting a knife or fork) remove and let cool. Remove peel and transfer to a bowl and mash. Add melted butter, paprika, fennel and salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Butter a ramekin and add mashed sweet potato and form a well in the center.
- Crack egg(s) and place in the well (center) with heavy cream. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Add 1 or 2 dots of butter and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until egg is cooked.
- Serve immediately.