Wow! I have not cooked pasta in a while. How did that happen? As one of the easiest ingredients to cook, it is also very versatile and tasty when mixed with vegetables and cheese. Many people because of taste and texture do not love wheat pasta. Because of its unique nutty flavor, finding the right way to cook it can be a challenge.
Sometimes when reading a recipe, you may instantly know if it is a winner or not. I have not made baked spaghetti because I was never interested in cooking and baking it – too much work in my opinion. After looking through many recipes online, I decided to come up with my own mainly because of taste. And that is how my recipe for Baked Vegetable Spaghetti was created.
My Baked Vegetable Spaghetti is made with wheat pasta, Portobello mushrooms, onions, leeks, sweet red pepper, marinara sauce, spices, and cheeses. You may be surprised to know the cheeses I used. Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, which are popular cheeses, would not impress you but The Laughing Cow Cheese might.
Yes, “The Laughing Cow Cheese! I was looking for a creamy taste and instead of adding heavy cream or yogurt, I decided on a creamy Swiss cheese. The Laughing Cow Cheese is a spreadable cheese that is appetizing and a great snack for kids. Since I am old fashion, I always keep a box of the Original Creamy Swiss wedges. The next challenge was the sauce; I chose marinara sauce because I wanted a simple and flavorful tomato sauce. By the way, not every brand is the same. Find the right one for you and stick with it.
The pasta was cooked according to the packaging instructions. The vegetables were cooked separately, and the cheeses (mozzarella and creamy Swiss) were added to the marinara sauce that has been heated. Everything was then mixed and placed in a baking dish and topped with Parmesan cheese and baked for 30 minutes in the oven. Not so bad I might say.
Don’t pass off this recipe because not only it is healthy and tasty but also you forget that you are eating wheat pasta.
Try my recipe for Baked Vegetable Spaghetti and let me know what you think. By the way, this is a kid’s tested recipe, and I got two thumbs up from kids ranging from ages 2 to 9 years old. Remember you need a good wheat pasta brand and a good marinara sauce.
Note: Baked Vegetable Spaghetti made with wheat pasta, vegetables, cheeses and marinara sauce. This recipe can also be made with regular spaghetti.
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup leeks finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red sweet peppers
- 2 cups portobella mushroom diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jar marinara sauce 24 ounces
- dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 wedges creamy swiss The Laughing Cow Cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded for topping
- drop fresh lemon juice a few drops, optional
- Boil pasta according to packaging instructions. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a skillet add oil and leeks and cook for at least 5 minutes until the leeks a bit tender. Add garlic, onions, and red peppers and cook for 4 - 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, drops of lemon juice, oregano, basil and black pepper and cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan under medium heat, add marinara sauce, nutmeg, mozzarella cheese and creamy swiss cheese. Heat up sauce to start melting cheese for only 3 - 5 minutes. Do not melt cheese entirely - you only need to create a creamy sauce with chunks of cheeses.
- In a large bowl, mix pasta, vegetables and sauce with cheese together until well incorporated. Transfer to a prepared baking dish, top with parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese and bake in a 350 degree F for 30 minutes until top is crispy. Serve hot .