Beef Tassot or Tassot Boeuf (Tassot Boeuf/Beef Tassot/Fried Beef Bits) is meat that has been marinated, boiled, and fried. It is part of what Haitians call “Fritaille” which is a mix of different types of fritters. Tassot is the way the meat is cooked. You can make tassot with any types of meat or firm fish. The two common meat tassot are with beef and goat. This recipe is with beef.
What makes a tassot taste exquisite is the marinating time. You must allow the meat to marinate at least for 30 minutes or more. The longer, the better. You also have to let the meat cook in its marinade before adding water. Another step that may be longer is the cooking time. If making tassot with red meat, broiling time is longer because the meat must be tender before frying.
This dish is usually eaten with other fritters or as a meat dish with your meal. Because beef has a tendency to be dry when cooked too long, a good sauce or gravy or even Pikliz is required. Buying a nice tender cut of beef is necessary and don’t buy meat that has a lot of bones either.
Beef Tassot is a traditional dish in Haiti. It is very easy to make and does not require a lot of ingredients. Haitians eat tassot anytime and for any types of event.
- 3 lb beef cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoons sour orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime/lemon juice
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero. Whole, not chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bouquet garni thyme and parsley
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero. Finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Cut and clean meat with lime or vinegar. Rinse with cold water, pat dry and add to pot. In same pot, add sour orange juice, lime/lemon juice, crushed garlic, whole hot pepper and salt. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour or overnight for more flavor. Meat and marinade can be stored in plastic container in the refrigerator.
- On medium high heat, bring meat to a boil. Add 1 cup of water and the bouquet garni when marinade has almost evaporated. Check meat occasionally and add more water when necessary and until meat is fully cooked. (More water is only necessary depending on the cut and size of meat) (Be careful with the whole pepper so it does not burst). When cooked, remove meat from cooking liquid and fry in hot oil until golden brown or roast in the oven for 15 - 30 minutes.
- For sauce, in a saucepan, add meat cooking liquid, 1 cup of water, parsley, hot pepper, and shallots. Let sauce reduce to half. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Beef Tassot.