Beef Tassot or Tassot Boeuf (Tassot Boeuf/Beef Tassot/Fried Beef Bits) is meat that has been marinated, boiled, and fried. It is part of what Haitians call “Fritaille” which is a mix of different types of fritters.
What is Tassot?
The word Tassot signifies the way the meat is cooked. It is typically served at parties, get-together, and even lunchtime or dinnertime. This dish is also sold at most Haitian restaurants.
You can make a tassot dish with any type of meat or poultry. The two common meats for tassot is with beef and goat. It is also made with turkey, dark or white meat. This recipe is with beef.
How to make tassot the right way
What makes a tassot taste exquisite is the marinating time. You must allow the meat to marinate at least for 30 minutes or more with lemon juice, fresh herbs and spices. The longer, the better.
You also have to let the meat cook in its marinade before adding water. If you add water before the meat even starts to cook in the pot, you will lose some of the flavors. You can also season the water as you add more to the pot. The best advice for cooking any type of meat is to never add cold water. Always add room temperature water of hot water to the pot to preserve the flavors.
Depending on the type of meat, or meat cuts, cooking time will be different. Goat meat takes a long time to cook. Goat meat Tassot is delicious but patience is required. That is why more cooks prefer cooking Beef Tassot.
the best meat cuts for beef tassot
It is about what you can afford and how much time you have to cook. Beef Tassot is usually made with beef stew meat, filet mignon, tenderloin steak, or T-bone steak. The tender part of the beef is the loin and one of the best meat cuts to make tassot.
What to serve tassot with
This dish is usually eaten with other fritters or as a meat dish with your meal. Because beef has a tendency to be dry when cooked too long, a good sauce or gravy or even Pikliz is required.
Beef Tassot is a traditional dish in Haiti. It is very easy to make and does not require a lot of ingredients. Haitians eat tassot anytime and for any types of event.
Typical dishes served with Tassot
Enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to let us know what you think.
- 3 lb beef cut in cubes, use beef stew or beef loin (sirloin, filet mignon, tenderloin steak, or T-bone)
- 3 tablespoons sour orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime/lemon juice
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero. Whole, not chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bouquet garni thyme and parsley
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero. Finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Cut and clean meat with lime or vinegar. Rinse with cold water, pat dry and add to pot. In same pot, add sour orange juice, lime/lemon juice, crushed garlic, whole hot pepper and salt. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour or overnight for more flavor. Meat and marinade can be stored in plastic container in the refrigerator.
- On medium high heat, bring meat to a boil. Add 1 cup of water and the bouquet garni when marinade has almost evaporated. Check meat occasionally and add more water when necessary and until meat is fully cooked. (More water is only necessary depending on the cut and size of meat) (Be careful with the whole pepper so it does not burst). When cooked, remove meat from cooking liquid and fry in hot oil until golden brown or roast in the oven for 15 – 30 minutes.
- For sauce, in a saucepan, add meat cooking liquid, 1 cup of water, parsley, hot pepper, and shallots. Let sauce reduce to half. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Beef Tassot.