Green Plantains are perfect for quick vegan and non-vegan meals. A great side dish, a complete meal by itself, this vegetable is sure to win the heart of even most potato lovers.
Green Plantains have gained a lot of popularity over the years. Do you know how to create fun and delicious meals with Green Plantains? Let’s create tasty dishes with Noubess products.
Plantains are versatile
Boiled or steamed vegetables are the many ways to make sure that you always have a side dish with your meat, seafood, or poultry meal. Plantains are an excellent substitute for potatoes, yucca, and yam. Plantains are tasty when fried and boiled.
You can even create baked and roasted recipes with green plantains after they turn yellow. When turned yellow, the plantain will have a hint of sweetness that is deliciously addictive.
How to make this recipe
This recipe can be made boiled or fried. Fried green plantains are usually the method to serve with a Creole sauce, Pikliz, and onions. For this recipe, we will use pickled red onions.
To make the recipe, boiled the plantains, slice, and top with the pickled onions. Quick, delicious, and easy to make.
Boiled Green Plantain with Pickled Red Onions is easy and great as a quick snack or a side dish. Adding a topping like Pickled Onions not only makes the dish looks deliciously pretty but also adds tons of flavor to the plantains. Not too acidic, a little bit sweet; some spiciness is probably what every boiled root vegetables or vegetables need.
This quick pickled red onions recipe is easy to make in just 30 minutes. Just enough time to enjoy it with boiled plantains or boiled yucca.
You can either use Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce or Noubess Mango Hot and Spicy Sauce to add a zing to the pickled onion. If using sugar, either add fine sugar or raw sugar to the pickled onion.
Use plantains as an accompaniment with your salads, other types of vegetables, roasted or grilled meat, poultry, or seafood.
Other green plantains recipes ideas
- BOILED GREEN PLANTAINS WITH GARLIC AND ONION
- SWEET YELLOW PLANTAINS AND MEATBALLS ROLLS
- GREEN PLANTAINS AND GROUND TURKEY ONE-POT MEAL
- HOW TO MAKE BAKED SWEET PLANTAINS
- 1 -2 green plantains
- 1 large or 2 small red onions peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Noubess Hot and Spicy Mango Sauce with Herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener such as honey, agave, maple syrup, sugar
- Noubess Lemon Infused Olive Oil or another lemon infused oil
- In a small saucepan, stir together the apple cider vinegar, Noubess Mango Hot and Spicy Sauce, salt and your desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Place the thinly-sliced onions in a small bowl or pint-sized cleaned mason jar. Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions. Gently stir until combined if you’re using a bowl. If you’re using a mason jar, place the lid on top, hold the jar with a kitchen towel and give it a quick shake.
- Let the onion slices marinate for at least 30 minutes before using it. Let the mixture cool off before refrigeration. Store up to 2 weeks.
- While you are waiting for the pickled onions to cool down a bit, prepare the plantains.
- First, remove the skin off the plantains and cut into 2 – 3 large pieces.
- Add water to a medium-size pot and place the plantains pieces. Season the water with salt if you want.
- Cook the plantains until soft. Remove and slice into smaller pieces.
- Place on plate and top with Pickled Onions.
- Drizzle a little of Noubess Lemon Infused Olive Oil for a smooth finish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Originally published: April 28, 2020. The recipe has been updated to add additional content and more recipe ideas.