Remember yesterday when I shared my Good Friday Meal in the Haitian Culture post, I am sharing today the recipe for Boiled Veggies. It is very simple and does not require much effort. Boiled vegetables are stapled foods in Haiti. They are consumed almost every day and are vital to our nutrition. The veggie platter contains, cooked carrots, cooked cabbage, cooked beans and cooked turnips and roasted beets, all the beautiful healthy vegetables for a guilt-free meal.
Enjoy a simple and guilt free meal. Enjoy with seafood during this Lent season.
- 1 small to medium head cabbage cut in wedges and rinsed
- 2 – 3 large turnips peeled and cut into 4 slices each
- 4 large carrots cut 1 – 2 inch pieces
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 – 3 pounds Beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Directions to cook cabbage: Add about 1/2 inch of water to a large skillet or stockpot pan; bring to a boil and add salt. Add cabbage wedges, cover and let simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Uncover, turn cabbage wedges over and simmer about 5 - 8 minutes longer, or until tender. Pour off water and return to low heat until moisture has evaporated. Add 1-tablespoon butter and let slowly melt with cabbage. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Directions to cook turnips: Peel turnips and cut in wedges. In a saucepan add 1 – 3 cups of water. Add salt to taste and turnips. Make sure the wedges are covered with water. Bring to boil and cover. Boil until fully cooked. Remove from water and set aside. Drizzle butter before serving.
- Directions to cook carrots: In a saucepan, add enough water to cook the carrots. Add salt and carrots. Cover, and cook carrots until tender to the bite. Remove and set aside.
- Direction to cook Green Beans : Break off the ends (top and tail) of each bean. Wash green beans thoroughly in cool water. In a large skillet or pan, add 1-tablespoon oil, garlic and parsley. Do not let garlic burn. Add green beans and add salt and pepper to taste with a little bit of water and cook covered until crisp and tender. About 10 – 15 minutes turning occasionally.
- Direction for boiled beets: Add beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Remove from water and let cool. Peel off skin. Either slice or leave small in beets are small. Cut into wedges if beets are large.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.