Feeling a little down and low on energy? A good soup is always good any day. Bone Marrow Soup can be made many different ways. This recipe is a bit different today. I am sharing with you Bone Marrow Soup with Bok Choy.
Bok Choy is described on the World Wide Web as a Chinese cabbage of two distinct varieties of Chinese leaf vegetables often used in Chinese Cuisine. Bok Choy can be cooked several ways. It is excellent in soups and can be substituted with common green leaf vegetables such as spinach and kale.
Bone Marrow is the spongy soft tissue found in the interior of bones. Bone marrow from grass-fed animals taste better and have better nutritional values. The Bone marrow is considered a delicacy served with toasted bread, cracker and steamed vegetables for the ones who want to full health effects and benefits.
Bone marrow is very easy to cook, just 20 minutes in the oven at 450 Degrees F and you’re done. Although this particular way is quite enjoyable by many, I find it to me too fatty and too delicious to eat. The best way for me to enjoy it is in soup. Many people may not bake the bone marrow before adding it to soup, but I do. The roasted taste of the marrow adds flavor to the broth.
Bone Marrow Soup with Bok Choy is made with roasted bone marrow, Bok Choy, tomatoes, onion, and spices. The bones are cleaned with cold water and vinegar before roasting. (Just a cultural habit/thing) The broth for the soup is made by cooking all the ingredients together first and adding the bones last as the final flavoring step.
If you are a meat eater, you might enjoy this recipe. But if you are a vegetarian you are more than welcome to make the soup without the bone marrow.
- 1 lb bone marrow
- salt for bone marrow
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup onions sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic chopped
- 4 cups bok choy about 4 larges leaves cleaned and sliced small
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme fresh, leaves only
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- ¼ teaspoon habanero pepper sauce
- 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons lime juice fresh
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt to taste
- pepper for bone marrow
- pepper to taste
- Remove bone marrow from packaging. Gently rinse in cold water with vinegar. Pat dry and arrange on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the marrow and baked in an oven at 230°C / 450°F / Gas Mark 8 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on medium high heat, add butter, onion, garlic and bok choy. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add tomato, parsley, thyme, paprika and water and bring to a boil. Add beef bouillon, habanero hot pepper sauce, and cloves and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Gently add bone marrow. Add lime juice, ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir and let soup cook for 20 to 25 minutes on low to medium heat. Serve hot with bread.