This Cracked Wheat or Bulgur Wheat with Leek and Lima Beans recipe is cooked in chicken stock, then loaded with fresh spices and vegetables! This is the ideal healthy side dish to any meal!
When was the last time you had a delicious bowl of Cracked Wheat or Bulgur Wheat? Bulgur Wheat is sometimes called cracked wheat and is a great source of fiber. Bulgar Wheat is also known to be a great source of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Although there is not much difference between cracked wheat and bulgur wheat, the cooking process is the same. Its color may be a bit different depending on the brand but it is all the same.
Bulgur does contain gluten and if you have known allergies, you should consult your doctor and probably stay away from it.
In the Caribbean, bulgur wheat is cooked similar to rice. It is usually served with a side of vegetables, meat, poultry or seafood. It is also served in the form of porridge or Wheat Akasan.
Cooking bulgar wheat or cracked wheat is simple. I usually add tons of herbs and spices for more flavor. Wheat is a bit bland so the more flavor you add the better it will taste. Cooking it in a vegetable or chicken stock is favorable.
You can also add beans, peas, and even vegetables when cooking bulgar. It is a very versatile grain and will help you stay healthier.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic chopped
- 1 small to medium sized leek cleaned and chopped finely
- 1 small onion sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup lima beans thawed
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 cups cracked bulgur wheat ble, cleaned and washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One whole hot pepper optional
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil. Add garlic, leek and onion. Add herbes de provence and cumin powder. Stir to mix and let cook for about 1 – 2 minutes
- Add lima beans and mix well. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add bulgur wheat to boiling liquid and slowly stir to mix. Do not over mix. Add salt and pepper to taste and additional seasoning and hot pepper if necessary.
- When water has evaporated,
- reduce heat to low, cover and continue to cook for about 20 – 30 minutes or until cooked. Remove hot pepper before serving.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.