Cauliflower steak is having a moment. This humble vegetable, once relegated to the side dish realm, is now taking center stage as a delicious and satisfying main course. And for good reason! Cauliflower steaks are incredibly versatile, can be adapted to any flavor profile, and are surprisingly hearty and satisfying.
What is a cauliflower steak?
A cauliflower steak is simply a thick slice of cauliflower, usually about 1-2 inches thick. It’s roasted, grilled, or pan-fried until tender and slightly browned. The result is a dish that has the look and feel of a meat steak but is packed with nutrients and low in calories.
Why is cauliflower steak so popular?
There are many reasons why cauliflower steak has become so popular:
- It’s healthy: Cauliflower is a low-calorie, low-carb vegetable that is packed with nutrients, including vitamins C and K, fiber, and folate.
- It’s versatile: Cauliflower steak can be seasoned and flavored in endless ways. You can keep it simple with just salt and pepper or get creative with spices, herbs, and sauces.
- It’s satisfying: Despite being a vegetable, cauliflower steak can be surprisingly filling and satisfying. The thick slices and roasted or grilled texture make it a great option for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.
- It’s trendy: Cauliflower steak is a hot trend in the culinary world, and there are countless recipes and variations available to try.
How to make cauliflower steak
Making cauliflower steak is easy! Here’s a basic overview:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut a head of cauliflower into thick slices, about 1-2 inches thick.
- Toss the cauliflower steaks with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the cauliflower steaks for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and slightly browned.
- Serve with your favorite toppings or sauces.
Tips for making great cauliflower steak
- Choose a firm head of cauliflower.
- Cut the steaks evenly so they cook evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Get creative with your toppings! Some ideas include pesto, hummus, chimichurri, marinara sauce, or a simple squeeze of lemon juice.
Cauliflower steak recipes
Now that you know the basics, here are a few recipe ideas to get you started:
- Spicy Harissa Cauliflower Steaks: These steaks are packed with flavor, thanks to a harissa paste made with roasted red peppers, chilies, and spices.
- Lemon Tahini Cauliflower Steaks: A light and refreshing option, these steaks are drizzled with a creamy tahini sauce and topped with fresh parsley.
- BBQ Cauliflower Steaks: These steaks are perfect for the grill, and they’re coated in a smoky BBQ sauce that everyone will love.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Steaks: A fun and flavorful twist on a classic, these steaks are tossed in a spicy buffalo sauce and served with a side of blue cheese dressing.
Elevate Your Cauliflower Steaks with the Bold Flavors of Noubess!
Cauliflower steaks have taken the culinary world by storm, offering a hearty and healthy alternative to meat-based dishes. But let’s face it, plain cauliflower can be a bit…well, bland. That’s where the magic of Noubess seasonings comes in!
Noubess, known for its vibrant Caribbean-inspired blends, takes your cauliflower steaks from a side dish to a showstopper. Here are three ways to unleash the flavor potential of your veggie star:
- Flavor Fiesta: Infuse your cauliflower with the warm, smoky notes of allspice, nutmeg, and chilies. Jerk seasoning adds a depth of flavor that pairs perfectly with roasted vegetables, grilled pineapple, or a dollop of mango chutney.
- Benefits: Jerk seasoning is not just bold and delicious, it’s also a good source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fresh and Fragrant: This blend awakens your taste buds with a symphony of garlic, parsley, thyme, and oregano. It’s a classic combination that complements the natural sweetness of cauliflower and elevates its presence on the plate.
- Benefits: Garlic and herbs are not just flavor powerhouses, they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals that support overall health and well-being.
- Island Allure: This unique blend brings the tropics to your kitchen with a sweet and savory mix of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Beau Monde adds a touch of exotic flair to your cauliflower steaks, making them the star of any meal.
- Benefits: Beau Monde’s warming spices not only tantalize your taste buds, they also possess digestive and circulatory benefits.
Cauliflower steaks are a versatile wonder, offering a blank canvas for culinary pairings. To match their hearty texture and earthy sweetness, consider these diverse options:
Grains and Starches:
- Creamy polenta or mashed potatoes: Rich and comforting, balancing the cauliflower’s lighter texture.
- Quinoa or couscous salad: Light and flavorful, adding freshness and contrasting textures.
- Brown rice or roasted sweet potatoes: Filling and nutritious, pairing well with bolder seasoning profiles.
- Crispy flatbreads or naan: Perfect for scooping up sauces and dressings.
Vegetables and Greens:
- Roasted carrots or Brussels sprouts: Caramelized sweetness complements the cauliflower.
- Sautéed spinach or kale: Earthy greens add nutritional depth and a touch of bitterness.
- Grilled asparagus or corn on the cob: Summery flavors pair well with lighter seasonings.
- Tabbouleh or coleslaw: Fresh crunch and tangy dressings cut through richer sauces.
Sauces and Dressings:
- Tahini sauce: Creamy and nutty, bringing out the cauliflower’s sweetness.
- Pesto or chimichurri: Herbaceous and vibrant, adding zesty notes.
- BBQ sauce: Smoky and sweet, perfect for grilled cauliflower.
- Spicy harissa or sriracha: For a fiery kick, it is ideal with jerk or other bold seasonings.
- Lemon vinaigrette: Light and refreshing, a good choice for delicate flavors.
- Seared tofu or tempeh: Adds protein and mimics the steak texture.
- Lentil or chickpea salad: Hearty and flavorful, a lighter protein option.
- Shrimp or scallops: For a surf-and-turf twist, especially with Mediterranean or Asian-inspired flavors.
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese: Rich and tangy, adding decadence and a creamy counterpoint.
Bonus Tip: Consider the overall theme of your cauliflower steak dish and choose pairings that complement the chosen seasonings and spices. For example, Caribbean jerk seasoning pairs well with mango chutney and grilled pineapple, while Beau Monde seasoning shines with a side of coconut rice and curry sauce.
Beyond the Spice:
No matter which Noubess seasoning you choose, remember that versatility is key! Experiment with different cooking methods like grilling, roasting, or air-frying to find your perfect texture. And don’t forget the finishing touches! Drizzle with olive oil, top with fresh herbs, or create a creamy tahini sauce for an extra layer of flavor.
With Noubess, your cauliflower steaks become more than just a meal; they become an adventure for your palate. So, ditch the bland and embrace the bold! Your taste buds (and your health) will thank you.
Bonus Tip: Noubess seasonings are gluten-free and vegan-friendly, making them a perfect choice for everyone at the table!
No matter how you prepare it, cauliflower steak is a delicious and healthy dish that is sure to please everyone at the table. So give it a try! You might just be surprised at how much you love it.
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Infused Extra Virgin Olive oil or regular olive oil
- Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1 large or 2 small heads cauliflower cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place cauliflower slices in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush each slice with the oil mixture then season with Noubess Garlic and Herb, to taste on both sides.
- Place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.