This succulent Chicken with Cabbage and Cannellini Beans is hearty, filling and delicious! Just the right amount of ingredients to create this amazing dinner.
Can you cook Cabbage and poultry together?
Yes, you can! It all depends on the recipe. Vegetables like cabbage add lots of flavor to poultry and meat. Not all vegetables go well with meat or poultry. Adding the right amount and the right vegetables will help you create a healthy and delicious dinner.
Cabbage, for example, the leaves are firm and easy to cook. Steamed, boiled or raw, cabbage is packed with nutrients. Cabbage is high in fiber and contains powerful antioxidants. Another main ingredient in the recipe is the white beans.
Cannellini beans are a source of plant-based protein and provide a smooth texture when cooked with other vegetables or meat.
When cooking poultry it is important to cook it thoroughly to avoid salmonella. The safe internal cooking temperature from chicken is 165 degrees Fahrenheit
I don’t personally like to roast chicken with vegetables, especially as a sheet pan dinner. I prefer to pan-sear (lock in the juice) or precook the chicken and finish roasting it with vegetables in the oven.
Lastly, a Dutch oven is a great tool for making stew and cooking poultry. The heat is preserved and your food is cooked at the same temperature.
How long should I marinate the chicken?
For this recipe, if you don’t have time, you can roast the chicken immediately. If you have time, marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour to overnight. It also does not matter if you choose to use chicken thighs instead of chicken legs. Or you can mix both thighs and legs in the recipe.
For the marinate, I chose a mixture of green seasoning, Noubess Hot Sauce, salt, lemon juice, and oil. This combination is actually great for cooking chicken in general. You can also use chicken bouillon instead of salt for more flavor. But if you do, I would suggest adding regular water instead to chicken broth or stock.
Here’s the recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Seasoning, Spices and Hot Sauce:
- 8 chicken legs or 6 chicken thighs cleaned
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 2 tsp Noubess Original Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar optional
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium onion white or red
- 1 tbsp Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1 medium head green cabbage cored and sliced
- 1 – 15 oz can Cannellini beans or cooked white beans
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar optional
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or stock or more if necessary
- After cleaning the chicken legs or thighs, place in a bowl. Add green seasoning, Noubess hot sauce, salt, lemon juice, and oil. Mix all ingredients and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place seasoned chicken on a prepared baking dish and roast for 45 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven add remaining oil and sliced leek. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes while stirring. Remove from the pan and place on a plate and set aside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until a sauce is formed. Add leek back to the pan with sliced onion and cabbage. Cook for at least 5 minutes under medium heat.
- Add beans and chicken broth or stock. Bring to a boil, add balsamic vinegar if using. Boil until the vegetables are cooked through. Add chicken to vegetables, combine and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.