Chicken with Lime and Herbs is easy, simple, and delicious. The perfect dish for Sunday dinners.
This chicken recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. The chicken is marinated in a flavorful mixture of lime juice, herbs, and spices, which gives it a bright and refreshing flavor. The chicken is then roasted until it is cooked through and juicy. This dish is perfectly served with rice, grilled vegetables, or salad russe.
The chicken with lime and herbs recipe
Chicken with Lime and Herbs is a recipe taken and updated from “A taste of Africa by Dorinda Hafner. This dish is usually served with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, uncooked mushroom, and cilantro, and white rice.
As stated in Dorinda Hafner’s cookbook, this is a recipe that she re-created from memory. This recipe is similar to several recipes for Chicken with Lime and Herbs.
Changes, Tips, and Notes for this Chicken Recipe
The original recipe does not list the exact fresh or mixed dried herbs blend, so I came up with my dry blend of oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil, and chervil.
I also did not use a garlic salt blend as I find it high in sodium. I used four limes in my recipe instead of 6 to 8 lemons because, in my opinion, the chicken would have tasted a bit too lemony. And also, the limes complimented the herbs mixture better than the lemons. But if you prefer to use lemons, that’s fine also.
This recipe is a lifesaver when you run out of ideas. It is loved by adults and kids as well. And by the way, the added vegetables are a must, such a delight.
Note: Chicken with Lime and Herbs is marinated overnight, perfectly roasted, and served with garnishes.
Other chicken recipes ideas to try
- 2 – 3 lb Whole Chicken cut into pieces and cleaned or 8 to 10 chicken drumsticks or chicken wings cleaned
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 4 Limes juiced
- 4 tablespoons Mixed Dried Herbs oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil, chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Romaine Lettuce cleaned
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Mushroom white or portobello, cleaned and sliced
- 1 Scallion sliced thin
- If using whole chicken, cut, clean and pat dry. If using precut pieces, clean and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in bowl or freezer bag. In a small bowl make marinade by mixing lime juice, garlic, blend of herbs, salt, and oil. Add marinade to chicken and coat well and let marinate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Prepare a baking sheet and lay chicken with marinade. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove chicken from baking sheet and pour off marinade. (reserve to make sauce if preferred) Place chicken pieces back on baking sheet and continue to roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until fully cooked and brown. Remove from oven when properly cooked.
- In a skillet add 1 tsp of olive oil, mushroom, dash of garlic powder, dash or salt and pepper. Brown mushroom until they softened. Remove and set aside.
- To plate, place lettuce leaves on serving plater followed by chicken, mushroom, tomatoes and scallion. Add additional furnishing such as cilantro an lime or lemon wedges if preferred. Serve the chicken pieces hot with rice or with another side dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.