After traveling to France with the Chocolate Bouchons recipe, now let’s go to Ghana and create a tasty chicken dish. What a long trip! Don’t you think so?
Chicken with Lime and Herbs is a kid-approved chicken dish. I could not believe that the “boys” (nephews and cousins) enjoyed this dish with white rice alone.
It was so funny that once they all sat to eat, their mothers kept quite because no one knew if they would love or dislike the meal. The boys did not even want to add any bean puree to their rice, just plain white rice with chicken was enough for them. It was more amazing when they asked for more food.
Chicken with Lime and Herbs is a recipe taken and updated from “A taste of Africa by Dorinda Hafner. This dish is usually served with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, uncooked mushroom, and cilantro and white rice.
As stated in Dorinda Hafner’s cookbook, this is a recipe that she re-created from memory. This recipe is similar to many recipes for Chicken with Lime and Herbs.
The original recipe does not list the exact fresh herbs or mixed dried herbs blend, so I came up with my dry blend of oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil, and chervil.
I also did not use a garlic salt blend as I find it to be high in sodium. I used four limes in my recipe instead of 6 to 8 lemons because, in my opinion, the chicken would have tasted a bit too lemony. And also the limes complimented the herbs mixture better than the lemons. But if you prefer to use lemons, that’s fine also.
This recipe is a lifesaver when you run out of ideas. It is loved by adults and kids as well. And by the way, the added vegetables are a must, such a delight. Enjoy!
Note: Chicken with Lime and Herbs is marinated overnight, roasted to perfection and served with garnishes.
Chicken with Lime and Herbs
- 2 - 3 lb Whole Chicken cut into pieces and cleaned or 8 to 10 chicken drumsticks or chicken wings cleaned
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 4 Limes juiced
- 4 tablespoons Mixed Dried Herbs oregano, marjoram, parsley, basil, chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Romaine Lettuce cleaned
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Mushroom white or portobello, cleaned and sliced
- 1 Scallion sliced thin
- If using whole chicken, cut, clean and pat dry. If using precut pieces, clean and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in bowl or freezer bag. In a small bowl make marinade by mixing lime juice, garlic, blend of herbs, salt, and oil. Add marinade to chicken and coat well and let marinate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Prepare a baking sheet and lay chicken with marinade. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove chicken from baking sheet and pour off marinade. (reserve to make sauce if preferred) Place chicken pieces back on baking sheet and continue to roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until fully cooked and brown. Remove from oven when properly cooked.
- In a skillet add 1 tsp of olive oil, mushroom, dash of garlic powder, dash or salt and pepper. Brown mushroom until they softened. Remove and set aside.
- To plate, place lettuce leaves on serving plater followed by chicken, mushroom, tomatoes and scallion. Add additional furnishing such as cilantro an lime or lemon wedges if preferred. Serve the chicken pieces hot with rice or with another side dish.