An easy but simply delicious recipe for chicken legs and thighs and prawns cooked in a perfectly seasoned wine sauce.
I came up with Chicken with Prawns in Wine Sauce because I wanted to use prawns and not regular size shrimp. Although both are sometimes referred to as Shrimp, a Prawn is much larger than a shrimp. It is so interesting to know that both terms originated from Great Britain. When you have some time, please read about it. Fascinating!
When shopping at your favorite seafood place, buy fresh prawns to make this dish if you can. If not, you may use frozen prawns or jumbo shrimp.
How to make Chicken with Prawns in Wine Sauce
Chicken with Prawns requires some ingredients you may not have. For example, champagne vinegar and a nice Pinot significantly boost the dishes. Cooking chicken and shellfish in wine is always a good idea. The wine adds tons of flavor. It is recommended to use a good wine, and not a cheap one.
When cooking with wine, always use a wine you will drink. You will be surprised at how pleasant the taste of the dish will be.
The chicken is marinated in champagne vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic for 30 minutes or overnight. It is then browned and cooked in wine, tomatoes, onion, and other spices. The prawns are added last with butter for a delicate aroma and taste.
This dish can be enjoyed with any side dish you prefer. Rice, pasta, or any other grains will be okay. My preferred way to cook this dish is with fresh ingredients, a good Pinot Grigio, a good brand of Champagne Vinegar, a good brand of unsalted butter, and grapevine tomatoes or Campari tomatoes.
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup tomatoes diced – grapevine tomatoes or campari tomatoes
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 scallions chopped finely
- 1 bouquet garni parsley, thyme, bay leaf
- 6 pieces prawns cleaned and cubed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup pinot grigio white wine
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoonfinely chopped hot pepper scotch bonnet or habanero pepper – optional
- Clean chicken with white vinegar and water or with lime or lemon. Rinse and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in a bowl and mix with garlic, champagne vinegar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate overnight or let marinate for at least 30 – 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade and remove excess water and spices. Do not discard marinade. In a Dutch oven pan or a heavy pan over medium to high heat, heat oil. Brown chicken pieces on all sides and set aside. In same pan, add onion, scallions and tomatoes. Stir and add chicken pieces back to pan along with marinade. Add bouquet garni and hot pepper if using and cover to cook for 15 minutes on medium to low heat. Uncover, add wine, cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Do not add water. Let the chicken pieces cook in the marinade and the wine. In a small pan, melt butter and add prawns season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat. Add prawns with butter to chicken and cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken if fully cook. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Remove bouquet garni before serving. Serve hot.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.