Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Curry Sauce is an appetizer that is a deal-breaker when you’re craving something exotic. Sweet, spicy, crisp, golden and delicious!
an easy recipe with minimal preparation
The simplicity of this dish lies in the preparation. Using store-bought shredded coconut is the easiest route to take. But what about preservatives and the added sugar that empowers the taste of the coconut. In my opinion, fresh coconut is always better if you can use it.
Where to find fresh coconut
Fresh coconuts are available at many supermarkets. If you can’t find it in your regular store, go to a West Indian or Spanish supermarket.
How to make the recipe
I make my coconut shrimp very basic. I use fresh shredded coconut, flour, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. All the ingredients are fresh.
The shrimp are deveined first, then season. After the batter mixture is prepared. Each shrimp is carefully dipped into the batter and coated with shredded and deep-fried.
I do not use peanut oil because many of us suffer from different types of allergies. Peanut oil may be great for frying because of the beautiful golden finish it gives foods, I will not use it. There are other natural ways to add color and flavor to food.
Serve the coconut shrimp with the prepared tangy curry sauce.
Enjoy this simple Coconut Shrimp recipe made with fresh coconut.
- 4 Jumbo Shrimp deveined and cleaned
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut fresh or store bought unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- oil for frying vegetable oil
- 1 small shallots finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice fresh juice or from concentrate
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Coconut Shrimp Clean Shrimp and pat dry. Add salt, pepper and paprika to flour and stir to blend well then put aside.
- Dip each shrimp into the egg mixture, coat with flour and then coat with shredded coconut.
- Fry each shrimp until golden brown.
- To make the sauce, In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, add butter and sauté shallot. Add curry powder stir to blend. Add pineapple and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add flour and water mixture and stir to blend. Lower heat and let mixture simmer until mix thick but not runny.
- Serve with Coconut Shrimp.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.