Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Curry Sauce is an appetizer that is a deal breaker only if prepared properly. Shrimp, in general, do not take long to cook as some individuals might think. I have so many stories to share, but I think I might become one of the most hated friends or family member if you know what I mean.
The simplicity of this dish lies in preparation. Using store bought shredded coconut does not help any Coconut Shrimp recipe in my opinion. Because of preservatives added and because of its empowered taste, coconut needs to be fresh when being used in fried food recipes. Fresh coconuts are available at many supermarkets. If you can’t find it in your regular store, go to a West Indian or Spanish supermarket.
I make my coconut shrimp very basic, fresh coconut, flour, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I enjoy eating this dish with a curried pineapple sauce. All the ingredients are fresh. One ingredient that I do not use and prefer staying away from is peanut oil. I know peanut oil is great for frying because of the beautiful golden finish it gives foods. But with so many allergies on the rise, I prefer not to use it in many of my recipes.
Enjoy this simple Coconut Shrimp recipe made with fresh coconut.
Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Curry Sauce
- 4 Jumbo Shrimp deveined and cleaned
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut fresh or store bought unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg beaten
- Oil for frying vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 small Shallots finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Juice regular juice or from concentrate
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- Coconut Shrimp Clean Shrimp and pat dry. Add salt, pepper and paprika to flour and stir to blend well then put aside. Dip each shrimp into egg, coat with flour and then coat with shredded coconut. Fry shrimps until golden brown. Serve hot with Pineapple Curry Sauce. Pineapple Curry Sauce In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, add butter and sauté shallot. Add curry powder stir to blend. Add pineapple and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add flour and water mixture and stir to blend. Lower heat and let mixture simmer until mixture and thick but not runny. Server with Coconut Shrimp.