Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 05:54 pm
Cranberry Bread: Cooking for the holidays is always fun for me because I enjoy spending time with everyone I love while enjoying a wonderful meal. I love cooking a feast and cooking a feast always translates into having tons of ingredients to use. And more often, having lots of ingredients is a benefit because more dishes can be created if there is enough time to cook or bake.
I had one extra bag of fresh cranberries left and was trying to decide what to make. As I was looking at the packaging, I found a recipe for Cranberry Nut Bread and thought it would be a good idea to make it. Looking at foods or ingredients’ packaging is a good way to come up with new ideas and new creations.
I was a little perplexed with adding nuts because I do not often enjoy eating nuts in my baked goods. So I decided to make it without the nuts. Not a bad idea at all!
While preparing the Cranberry Bread, I was concerned about 2 things. One was the tartness of the cranberries and second, I was not sure if I needed to mix them with a little bit of flour so they don’t all float to the top of the batter. I decided to take a chance and not mix the cranberries with flour.
To decrease the tartness of the cranberries a bit, I decided to soak them for a few minutes with the same orange juice I was going to use for the batter and additional sugar. That I believe made a difference.
I also added a few more ingredients to the recipe just because I felt that they would add more flavor to the bread, a pinch of allspice and homemade orange extract. I used the orange extract because I needed the orange flavor to empower the flavor of the cranberries, hence decrease the tartness. Not a bad idea again!
I cannot take all the credit for something that I did not totally create. The recipe came from as mentioned before, the packaging of the cranberries. The brand was Ocean Spray and for disclosure purposes, no monetary exchange was made for using the product. Now that is out of the way, let’s get baking! Don’t forget to let me know what you think.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg well beaten
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 teaspoon homemade orange extract
- 1 ½ cups Ocean Spray fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped
- Coarsely chop the cranberries and place in a medium bowl with orange juice and 2 tablespoons sugar and soak for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, allspice and baking soda in a medium-mixing bowl. Strain the cranberries and reserve the orange juice mixture. In a separate bowl, stir in the reserved orange juice, oil, orange peel, egg and orange extract. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries. Spread evenly in loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan; cool completely.
- Makes 1 loaf
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.