Last updated on February 25th, 2022 at 03:59 pm
Creamy Coleslaw, slightly sweet and tangy and full of great veggies.
Yesterday I posted a photo of my Creamy Coleslaw and promised to share the recipe today. But before I do, let’s briefly discuss dinner. Healthy home-cooked meals are by far the best way to keep the body supercharged and resilient to many illnesses.
Everywhere we go, we consume food. But how do we eat? This is where it gets confusing. We see the word organic around and wonder if the definition is still the same for many products. It is certainly okay to think that the word organic no longer has real meaning because marketers and advertisers have used it to attract more consumers. We need to bypass the fact that many subliminal messages are transferred to ads and television commercials. We often see the word organic, and we tend not to believe in its real meaning.
What about buying directly from farms? Many of us do not have the luxury of buying from local farms. But now is the time to go in full force into what it means to eat healthily for those who do. My Creamy Coleslaw is a perfect side dish for any occasion. Remember when yesterday I posted on Facebook that you would never guess the secret ingredient? Are you ready for it? The secret ingredient is tamarind chutney. YES! Tamarind Chutney. I am also astonished.
My Creamy Coleslaw is full of goodness like green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, radishes, pepper, scallions, parsley, and a fantastic tasty dressing.
My amazing dressing is made with a good quality mayonnaise, champagne vinegar, freshly cracked pepper, and tamarind chutney. If you are wondering why I added the chutney, it’s simple. Radishes tend to have a bitter and spicy taste. When mixed with cabbage, the taste is a bit more pungent, in my opinion. And to help kids eat vegetables, what better way to hide the taste of raw veggies than with a dressing that is both sweet and tangy.
My Creamy Coleslaw inspiration came from my 1001 Essential Recipes Book. I hope you enjoy the creamy and delicious taste of my Creamy Coleslaw recipe.
- ½ green cabbage core removed and thinly sliced
- ¼ red cabbage core removed and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots coarsely grated
- 6 radishes coarsely grated
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 4 scallions sliced
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamarind chutney (preferably from India)
- Freshly ground pepper optional
- In a bowl add the first 7 ingredients and mix together. In a separate bowl prepare the dressing by mixing mayo, champagne vinegar, tamarind chutney and ground pepper if using. Mix well and add to veggies. Toss well.
- Prepare a day in advance for a better and delicious taste. Add more mayonnaise for a creamier texture.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.