Chicken with Peppers and Onions is one of the most popular recipes in my home. It has a wonderful mix of flavors and textures — savory, tangy, lightly crispy, crunchy — that makes your mouth water!
Chicken is so versatile that one can create endless recipes with it. My version of Chicken with Peppers and Onions is simple, delicious, spicy, and easy to make. This method does not require any frying or searing. The chicken must only bake until golden brown for 45 minutes in the oven after marinating for a few hours.
This recipe was created because I was trying to figure out other ways to cook poultry with my Veggies Hot Pepper Sauce. Just a quick marinate with this sauce and a few other ingredients added, and you have wonderful flavors. The sauce is peppery and has a lot of vinegar. So the more liquid than veggies added, the more vinegar taste you will have.
The only way to reduce the vinegar taste is to use let marinade when making the sauce. The taste is a little pungent but still quite good if you like vinegar and spicy foods. The sauce is made with a little bit of hot pepper sauce, tomato paste or tomato puree, onions, peppers, water, and butter to give it that buttery taste and silky look.
Here are the ingredients you will need for the Chicken with Peppers and Onions
Ingredients needed for Chicken with Peppers and Onions
- Sweet red peppers chopped/sliced.
- Onions sliced
- Unsalted butter
- Chicken legs and thighs
- Lime or lemon
- Veggies Hot Pepper Sauce or Pikliz
- Chicken bouillon Seasoning, low sodium
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- Tomato paste
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, chicken bouillon powder, mustard, and olive oil. Mix well to coat the chicken.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the reserved marinade over medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and chicken to the saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables immediately.
Here are some tips for making Chicken with Peppers and Onions:
- You can use any hot pepper sauce that you like. Use a milder hot pepper sauce or omit it if you dislike heat.
- If you don’t have chicken bouillon powder, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of chicken broth granules for every 1/4 teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder.
- You can add other vegetables to this dish, such as mushrooms, zucchini, or carrots.
- Serve this dish with rice or pasta and a side of your favorite vegetables.
This great recipe is easy to make, uses common ingredients, and has a nice combination of flavors. The chicken turns out beautifully tender and juicy, with the right amount of texture and saltiness from the other flavors in the mix.
This dish can be enjoyed with white rice or any other grains you prefer or with root vegetables. I like to enjoy this dish with a side of white or brown rice.
Chicken with peppers and onions is a classic dish that is easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. The chicken is cooked in a flavorful sauce with peppers and onions, and it’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
This dish is also perfect for meal prep. You can cook the chicken and vegetables ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then, when you’re ready to eat, reheat the chicken and vegetables in a pan or in the microwave.
- ½ cup sweet red peppers chopped/sliced
- ½ cup onions sliced
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 pieces chicken legs and thighs cleaned
- 1 lime/lemon
- 5 tablespoons veggies hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon low sodium
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Clean chicken pieces with lime/lemon, rinse, pat dry and place in a freezer bag. In a small bowl mix veggies hot pepper sauce, chicken bouillon, dijon mustard and oil. Pour mixture into bag and make sure that all chicken pieces are well coated. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. (you may want to spray the chicken pieces also for more color when cooked). Do not discard the marinade. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of the marinade and let cook stirring under low heat for about 1 – 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook while stirring for 2 more minutes until well incorporated. Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat. When water starts to boil add peppers and onions. Add chicken pieces, stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and let cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Add butter, stir and let cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.