When your partner or husband mostly eats seafood, you have to learn to create a lot of different recipes so that you don’t eat the same thing every day. This salmon cake recipe is the perfect combination to satisfy his or her palate. This recipe is not only easy, but it is also quick and will help you create a scrumptious weeknight dinner that even the kids will enjoy. This is how you make sure you win their hearts.
My girlfriend came over a few nights ago. As I was getting ready to make dinner, I realized that I would not have enough time to spend with her. I did not want to be a slave in my kitchen that night. Sipping on wine was a better option.
I figured that salmon cakes would be a great idea to make with a mixed green salad. Easy, right? That’s what my girlfriend thought as well. So we started playing with ingredients and creating new flavors. It was certainly a cooking weeknight adventure.
My honey is a health nut and I often tell him that he will live to be 100 years old. LOL… This recipe has all the health benefits but will satisfy his craving for something yummy. How can I do wrong with this wholesome dinner?
A few notes about Salmon
Salmon has a lot of health benefits. When you buy salmon, make sure you get wild caught. It is often considered one of the healthiest fish available. Wild salmon eats natural food found in the ocean, they have less calorie, less fat, more iron, and zinc, while farmed raised salmon are fed a processed high-fat feed so that they can produce larger fish.
This excerpt was taken from Dr. Axe.com. Here are a few health benefits of Salmon:
- High in Vitamin D
- Improves Bone Health
- Boosts Brain Function
- May Prevent ADHD in Children
- Promotes Heart Health
- Enhances Eyesight
- Optimizes Skin Health
- May Fight Cancer Development
These cakes can be your appetizers or your entrée. They are also great as leftovers.
To start, salmon cakes are best prepared with fresh salmon. If you don’t have fresh salmon, canned salmon is good also. Seasoning, seasoning, seasoning! The right seasoning blend is definitely needed with seafood. I used Noubess Fish and Seafood Seasoning. It contains no salt and I love it.
I like seasoning without sodium because my honey does not eat a lot of salt. I am able to control what I put in his meals. This also makes it easier to follow a proper healthy diet.
I used Noubess Hot and Spicy Pineapple Sauce for that extra kick. I like this particular sauce for seafood because of the lemony flavor that is intensified by the pineapple fruit. The onion and red pepper add a nice crunchy taste to the patties or cakes. They also make more texture to the mixture.
The oil and butter mixture add a nice crusty finish and more flavor also. Serve with salad, this can be a full meal.
- 1 lb fresh salmon filet
- 1 tablespoon Noubess Seafood Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Noubess Hot and Spicy Pineapple Sauce
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium onion 1 cup finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs Panko - Japanese Style crumbs, preferred
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425?F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or use a regular prepared baking dish. Mixed olive oil with seafood seasoning in a small bowl. Place salmon skin-side down, brush with olive oil and seasoning mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 min or just until cooked through. Remove from oven, and let rest for about ten minutes. Leave or discard skin, flake salmon with forks, remove any bones, and cool to room temperature while prepping remaining ingredients.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 Tablespoon butter. Let butter completely melt in oil. Add the diced onion and bell pepper. Add salt and pepper (if preferred) to taste. Saute until softened (5-7 minutes) then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flaked salmon, 1 cup bread crumbs, sautéed onion, and pepper mixture, 2 beaten eggs, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, parsley, and ¼ teaspoon of Noubess Hot and Spicy Pineapple sauce. Stir to combine then form into 12 - 14 patties about ? to ½ thick patties.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Once the butter has completely melted and done sizzling, add the salmon cakes and sauté 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Add remaining oil and butter and repeat as needed. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Serve with additional Noubess Hot and Spicy Pineapple with Herbs Blend alone or mixed with Tartar Sauce.
[amazon_link asins=’B008BUKO6G,B00DE1CY5Q,B01CY3MNBO,B01HTYH8YA,B003L0OOSU’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’us-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e8181d76-c1f6-11e8-b720-f9ae32f91a54′]