Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 02:40 pm
During the holidays, there usually no time at my house to prepare a scrumptious breakfast. I often make different types of tarts and quiche. I also buy ready made pie shell or puff pastry to save on time.
A tart is easy to make. I say easy because of the ready-made dough. Not a lot of effort is needed when you have your dairy products and vegetables. And not to forget spices.
My tarts and quiches are usually very simple. Dough, heavy cream, cheese, eggs, vegetables, and spices. It is the same recipe idea on the French side of the Caribbean.
For this particular recipe, the vegetables of choice are portabello mushroom. Portobello mushroom is meaty and sometimes referred to the vegan steak. They are flavorful and very healthy. Combine with dairy products; they are out of this world.
So here’s my version of Easy Mushroom Tart!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry to fit rectangular pan
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 300 g Portobello mushrooms
- 1 red onion chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 scallion sliced thin
- 1 egg beaten
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon seasoning mix such as Mrs. Dash Original
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese or grated gruyere cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and cut out to shape the rectangular tart pan. Place into pan and gently press against side and edges.
- Place the baking tray in the fridge while you prepare the mushroom mixture.
- Heat oven to 355 degrees.
- Heat a large frying pan until hot, then add the butter and fry the mushrooms for 5 mins until there is no liquid left in the pan. Add red onion, lemon juice, parsley, scallion and spices and cook while stirring for about 2 - 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning and remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Remove pan from the fridge.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, add heavy cream or half-and-half and mix well. Add cheese and mix.
- Pour the mushroom mixture into the pan
- followed by the egg mixture.
- Bake the tart for 20 mins or until puffed up and golden. Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.