This Baked Fish with Turmeric is flavorful and easy to make. It is the absolute favorite whole-baked fish recipe for a delicious family dinner any day of the week. It is slightly crispy and perfectly seasoned with an aromatic blend of spices.
This is a recipe for making baked whole fish. There are several types of fish you can select for this recipe. You can choose from snapper, sea bass, grouper, Bronzino, and even tilapia if you prefer that type of fish. For this recipe, you can either bake to fish whole or cut it in half – your choice. You will have to make sure that you have a large baking dish to bake the fish.
I particularly like this recipe because 1) it feeds more than one person, 2) the marinade is exceptionally delicious, and 3) the turmeric powder gives the fish a wonderful golden color.
How to bake a whole fish
Baking a whole is very easy as long as you have all the ingredients and kitchen tools ready. If you were unable to purchase a clean or scaled fish, make sure you follow these simple steps here before you proceed. (click on the link to find out how easy it is to clean a whole fish and not making a huge mess in your kitchen).
After cleaning the fish, you will need the following seasonings and spices for the marinade.
- Noubess original hot and spicy sauce
- Noubess fish and seafood seasonings
- Olive oil
- Turmeric powder
- Salt, optional
- Lemon/lime to clean the fish. I use vinegar to clean my fish, poultry, and meat. I keep a vinegar bottle spray to make my meal prep much easier.
After the fish has been marinated for a while, it is ready to be placed in the baking dish and into a 415 degree Fahrenheit hot oven.
How long does it take to bake a whole fish
Fish, in general, do not take long to cook—however, the size and cut of the fish matter. For instance, a whole fish will take longer to cook than fish fillets.
Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fish and size; therefore, use an instant-read meat thermometer to check on internal temperature. For fish, the internal temperature should be 140 degrees. This does only applies to thick fish. Fillets usually take about 10 – 15 minutes to cook.
And by the way, no flipping is required. A fish is delicate and will fall apart.
Best kind type of fish to bake with this seasoning blend
The best type or kind of fish to bake are as follows:
Why Turmeric is a good spice for fish
Turmeric Powder is an essential spice in many cuisines. It provides many health benefits for your body and brain. It is a wonderful spice to have around.
I love using turmeric powder in my dishes and especially in fish dishes because of its bright color. The color is vibrant and just appetizing. It is also an essential ingredient in homemade curries.
How to make the recipe
Here are the steps to make this unbelievably tasty fish recipe.
- Clean the fish and pat dry with a paper towel
- Prepare the seasoning by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Either leave the fish whole or cut it in half if it will be too big/long for your baking dish.
- With a knife, make slits about 2 – 3 on each side will do. No need to make deep cuts, just enough to cut through the skin and the seasoning to hide in there.
- Season the fish thoroughly with the prepared seasoning blend. Place the seasoned fish in a plastic container or glass bowl, cover, and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or longer to marinate for more flavor.
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature. Turn on your oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the oven is hot enough, place the fish on a prepared baking dish and bake to the fish for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on size and thickness.
- Remove and serve immediately with your favorite side dishes.