These easy bulgur wheat ground turkey meatballs with spicy mango sauce are a delicious and healthy weeknight meal. The meatballs are made with a combination of bulgur wheat, ground turkey, and spices and are baked in the oven until cooked through. The spicy mango sauce is made with fresh mango puree, NouBess Hot and Spicy Sauce, and other simple ingredients, and is the perfect finishing touch for the meatballs.
This recipe is a healthier take on the traditional Middle Eastern kibbeh, made with bulgur, ground meat, and spices. This recipe uses ground turkey instead of ground beef or lamb, and the meatballs are baked instead of fried.
This recipe is also very customizable. You can substitute different ground meats, seafood, or even vegetables for ground turkey. You can also adjust the amount of mango sauce to your liking.
About the recipe for Easy Bulgur Wheat Ground Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Mango Sauce
Ground Turkey Meatballs are an easy appetizer or a main dish. Meatballs and bulgur wheat are two underrated ingredients, but they come together to create a delicious and easy-to-make dish: bulgur wheat ground turkey meatballs with mango sauce. Both ground turkey and bulgur wheat are incredibly versatile and can be used to make a variety of dishes, from appetizers to main courses.
I love making ground turkey meatballs because they’re easy to customize and can be made with a variety of ingredients. For this recipe, I decided to use bulgur wheat and ground turkey, but you can substitute other ground meats, seafood, or even vegetables. The bulgur wheat adds a nice nutty flavor and texture to the meatballs and makes them more nutritious.
The hardest part of this recipe is shaping the meatballs because the mixture is very smooth and sticky. I recommend placing the mixture in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before shaping the meatballs to make it easier. You can also grease the plate to avoid sticking.
These ground turkey meatballs are perfect for a weeknight meal and can be served as an appetizer or main course. They’re also a great way to add extra fiber to your diet.
The sauce is also packed with tons of flavor – you can even set some aside and toss it with salad or even with a side of broccoli and grape salad. The sweetness of the grapes adds a delicate flavor to the meatballs.
The mango sauce in this recipe is packed with flavor, and it’s so versatile! You can use it to top your meatballs or serve it on the side as a dipping sauce. You can even set some aside and toss it with salad or raw vegetables. And if you’re anything like me, you’ll double the batch, so you have leftovers for snacks!
I used NouBess Hot and Spicy Sauce in the recipe. This gives the dish a slightly spicy flavor, but you can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your liking.
For those of you who are looking for another healthy and delicious meatball recipe, this ground turkey meatballs dish one is a must-try!
- Bulgur wheat: Bulgur wheat is a type of cracked wheat that is popular in Middle Eastern cuisine. It has a slightly nutty flavor and a chewy texture.
- Ground turkey: Ground turkey is a lean and healthy protein source. It is also relatively affordable, making it a great choice for budget-friendly meals.
- Herbes de Provence: Herbes de Provence is a blend of dried herbs that is commonly used in French cuisine. It typically includes herbs such as rosemary, thyme, lavender, marjoram, and oregano.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a healthy monounsaturated fat that adds flavor and moisture to the meatballs.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar adds a touch of acidity and brightness to the meatballs. It also helps to tenderize the meat.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor of all of the ingredients in the meatballs.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a pungent and flavorful aroma to the meatballs.
- Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce: This hot sauce adds a touch of heat and spice to the meatballs. You can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your liking.
- Oil for frying: You can use any type of oil for frying the meatballs, such as vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil.
For the mango sauce:
- Mango: Mangoes are a sweet and tropical fruit that is perfect for making sauces. They add a touch of sweetness and acidity to the sauce, as well as a bright and refreshing flavor.
- Shallot: Shallots are a type of onion that has a milder flavor than traditional onions. They add a slightly sweet and oniony flavor to the sauce.
- Fresh lime juice: Fresh lime juice adds acidity and brightness to the sauce. It also helps to balance out the sweetness of the mango.
- Honey: Honey adds a touch of sweetness and depth of flavor to the sauce. You can adjust the amount of honey to your liking.
- Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce: This hot sauce adds a touch of heat and spice to the sauce. You can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your liking.
Overall, the ingredients for this recipe are simple and affordable, and they come together to create a delicious and flavorful dish.
How to make the Bulgur Wheat Ground Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Mango Sauce
To make the meatballs, soak bulgur wheat in water for 1 hour, then drain. Add to a food processor with ground turkey, herbs, and hot sauce and blend until smooth. Shape into golf-sized balls and fry at 375 degrees F until golden brown.
To make the mango sauce, peel and puree mango with remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve with meatballs.
Notes and tips for the Bulgur Wheat Ground Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Mango Sauce
- For the meatballs:
- To make sure the meatballs are fully cooked, cook them until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- If you are frying the meatballs, make sure the oil is hot enough before adding them. If the oil is not hot enough, the meatballs will absorb too much oil and become soggy.
- If you are baking the meatballs, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- For the mango sauce:
- If you want a spicier sauce, add more hot sauce to taste.
- If you want a sweeter sauce, add more honey to taste.
- You can also add other ingredients to the mango sauce, such as chopped cilantro, ginger, or red onion.
Here are some additional tips:
- To make the meatballs ahead of time, shape them into balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, fry or bake the meatballs according to the instructions above.
- Serve the meatballs with your favorite sides, such as rice, quinoa, or roasted vegetables.
- You can also add the meatballs to a sandwich or wrap.
I hope these tips help you make the most of this recipe!
The mango sauce in this recipe is made with a combination of fresh mango, honey, and hot sauce. The sweetness of the mango and honey helps to balance out the heat of the peppers, resulting in a delicious and flavorful sauce.
For the meatballs
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 ½ tbsp herbs de Provence
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- Oil for frying
For the mango sauce
- 1 large mango sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- Prepare all your ingredients before starting.
For the meatballs
- In a bowl, soak 1 cup of bulgur wheat in 2 cups of water and let stand for about 1 hour. The wheat will expand and soften. In a strainer, drain all liquid from the bulgur wheat. You may want to use a use or spatula to remove any excess water.
- Add the bulgur wheat, ground turkey, herbs and spices and hot and spicy sauce to a food processor. Blend all the ingredients together until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor bowl and shape the mixture into meatballs – the size of a golf ball and place into a prepared pan (spread a little bit of oil on the plate to avoid sticking) for frying.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer. Alternatively, you can use a frying pan to heat the oil, but make sure that the temperature is at 375 degrees to fully cook the meatballs.
- Deep fry meatballs until dark golden brown. You may want to taste one to make sure of the amount of time for cooking. The larger the meatballs, the longer the cooking time will be.
- Place on a plate covered with paper towel.
To prepare mango sauce
- Peel and cut flesh from mango, discarding pits. In a blender or food processor purée mango with remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and serve with Bulgur Wheat with Ground Turkey Meatballs.
You may also want to pass the mango sauce through a sieve.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.