Crisp and tasty on the outside, creamy on the inside, Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side dish that goes along with your dinner meal.
Potatoes are a staple meal in everyone’s kitchen. Whether baked, roasted, boiled, fried, mashed, potatoes will always be the easiest dish to cook with fresh herbs and spices. As a staple food, they are also available in most markets.
Potatoes are also cost-effective when preparing a meal for a crowd. They contain tons of flavor, and not a lot of seasoning is needed. You can use only salt and pepper, and they will still taste good. Add a dollop of butter or sour cream; the taste is even better.
How about roasted garlic? One of the best seasonings for potatoes besides fresh herbs. This is the best way to enjoy a good mashed potatoes recipe.
Why is it so easy to cook potatoes
One thing for sure is that potatoes are cheap. Potatoes are sold individually and in bulk; it is easy to cook for 1 per or many people. These delicious root starchy vegetables have a distinct taste that anyone can recognize.
Although they come in many different varieties, no matter how they are cooked, the flavor is exceptionally addictive. No special skills are needed, just your favorite seasonings.
Can I use any kind of potatoes to roast?
Absolutely! If you can roast it in the oven, why not? Did you know that there are over 200 varieties of potatoes sold in the United States? Yes, that’s crazy.
Whatever variety of potatoes you have on hand, whether Yukon gold, russets, yellow, white, petite, or fingerling, you can roast them. You only have to remember that cooking is different.
The larger the potato, the longer time it takes to cook. Therefore it is recommended that you cut the potatoes as evenly as possible so the pieces can cook evenly. As far as peeling potatoes, that’s a preference. You don’t need to peel them for roasting as you can easily remove the skin. The skin is also very flavorful to eat.
How to Roast Potatoes
- 1) wash the potatoes to remove any dirt or debris. It does not matter if the packaging says the potatoes have been pre-washed. It is best to be cautious.
- 2) cut/slice the potatoes evenly – this way they will all be rady at the same time.
- 3) place the potatoes on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and/or use your favorite herbs and spices.
- 4) roast the potatoes and enjoy when ready.
It is that easy! But let go through a few tips and notes on making the best-roasted potatoes recipe to enjoy with your family.
Tips and Notes
- Always wash the potatoes and dry well with paper towel
- Soak or no soak: soaking removes some of the starch and helps the potatoes to crisp and stay creamy and fluffy inside.
- Be sure to dry the pieces well before you add your seasonings and oil.
- A good olive oil is good to use with potatoes.
- Roasting timing: high temperatures give you the best result and cooking time is quicker. Roast 1″ potato cubes at 425°F for 25-30 minutes for best results.
- Fresh herbs that go well with roasted potatoes: thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage, scallions, dill, and oregano.
- Seasonings and Spices: salt, pepper, garlic, or a seasoning blend.
- Freezing: potatoes freeze well.
Potatoes Recipes you might be interested in
- EASY POTATO, ONION, AND TOMATO BAKE
- WARM RED POTATOES WITH A BUTTER GARLIC SCALLION SAUCE
- ROASTED SWEET POTATOES AND WHITE POTATOES
- ROASTED FANCY POTATOES WITH SAUTEED SEASONED LEEKS
- 2 pounds red or yellow-skinned potatoes washed and cut into about 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs chopped parsley, thyme, basil, rosemary
- ½ teaspoon paprika optional
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub potatoes (do not peel them). Dice them into 1” cubes.
- Soak potatoes in cold water for up to 1 hour. (This removes starch and makes for a potato). Drain water and dry potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes cubes in the olive oil, herbs, and seasonings
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes until browned and tender.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.