String Beans have never tasted this delicious. The cheese and spices are the secrets to making this dish a superb side dish for weeknight dinners.
One thing that we focus a lot on has side dishes with our meals. The side dishes must be tasty and enjoyable. And because we are also lovers of cheese, why not mix the two ingredients to create an incredible meal.
I always believe that side dishes, whether green beans, mushrooms, or chayote, must be prepared with aromatic herbs and spices. For example, parsley and thyme are superb herbs to bring out the freshness of vegetables. When you have garlic and a little lemon juice, the taste is even better. But let’s not forget salt and pepper.
A Green Beans dish such as this recipe is easy to make ahead of time. It goes with almost every type of entree. It is perfect for entertaining, a holiday dinner, or just a simple casual dinner at home.
What makes this dish so flavorful is the combination of fresh garlic, salt, fresh ground pepper, and asiago cheese. You can also opt to use Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning, Noubess Fish Seasoning, and even Noubess Steak Seasoning. Yes, I did mention Noubess Fish and Steak Seasoning! If you take a look at the ingredients, why not? There’s nothing that says that we shouldn’t use our seasoning and spices in different dishes.
Just so you know:
- Noubess Fish Seasoning is salt-free and contains black pepper, rosemary, parsley, dill, citric acid, garlic, lemon peel, and onion.
- Noubess Steak Seasoning is also salt-free and contains black pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, vegetable oil, extractives of paprika, and other spices.
Alternatively, you can use any of the following Noubess Seasoning and spices if you wanted as well.
- Cajun Seasoning
- Adobo Seasoning
- Beau Monde Seasoning, which is excellent with vegetables.
How to make Roasted String Beans with Asiago Cheese
First let’s go through the ingredients. To make this dish you will need the following ingredients
- String beans: I usually buy the one that comes pre-washed and packaged in a bag. If you are looking for a bargain or making dinner for several people, I recommend getting it from Costco.
- Olive Oil – a good and pure olive is necessary to cook in general. I know it can be a bit expensive, but it is better and healthier than blended olive oil.
- Fresh Garlic: always buy fresh if you can. Certain types of dishes go better with fresh garlic, hence this one and most vegetable dishes.
- Lemon Zest: this is an optional ingredient. It adds a nice zesty flavor to the green beans.
- Salt, to taste: kosher or sea salt is fine
- Freshly Ground Pepper to taste: freshly ground is always better and tastes better.
- Freshly grated Asiago Cheese: It is better to get it in bulk for this cheese, meaning a block of cheese. The grated kind is a bit less flavorful, in my opinion. Asiago cheese is also a bit expensive, but it is all worth it. The taste is slightly pungent and smooth. Great also in Baked Macaroni and Cheese.
Instructions to make the recipe
For this recipe, it is best to use a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Fast, easy, and less messy – cleaning is also a breeze.
- Set an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Put the string (green) beans in a large bowl. Add the sliced garlic, lemon zest (if using), olive oil, salt, pepper, and toss well. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet
- Roast the beans with the seasoning mixture for 15 minutes. Stir with a spatula to promote even cooking, sprinkle half of the asiago cheese, then continue roasting until the green beans are tender throughout, about 10 minutes more. The beans should be fully cooked, with some lightly browned but not shriveled.
- Add remaining Asiago Cheese to the green beans and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter and serve hot or room temperature.
Want to make this recipe using another vegetables? Try these vegetables
- Brussels Sprouts
Other Green Beans recipe ideas
- ITALIAN GREEN BEANS WITH GARLIC AND SHALLOTS
- STRING BEANS WITH TOMATO AND APPLE
- SEAFOOD MEDLEY WITH BROCCOLI AND GREEN BEANS
- TORTELLINI WITH SHRIMP AND ITALIAN GREEN BEANS