I have not posted a meatless stew or a meatless vegetable stew in a while so I thought why not share this one. This will help achieve one of my New Year’s resolutions and maybe yours as well. Consume less sugar and less meat as possible! I will definitely need a lot of help since I love meat and I love sugar. Two bad things that are hard to avoid.
This is my almost ratatouille dish. I say ratatouille because it is a meatless veggies stew made with eggplant, chayote, tomatoes, and watercress. All the good vegetables that are full of great health benefits and easy to find in your supermarket.
Chayote is actually in season and although I enjoy it baked, when cooked in stews you get a plate full of healthy vitamins. Buy chayote that is firm with unblemished skin. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. It is fat-free cholesterol free, sodium free and a great source of vitamin C.
Here is a healthy stew to help you stay on the right track. Have fun cooking and creating your own veggies combination.
- 2 pounds eggplant cut in cubes
- 2 medium chayote cut in cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 2 cups onions finely sliced
- 1 cup red bell peppers finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup watercress cleaned, rinsed and chopped
- Wash eggplant, peel off skin and cut in small cubes. Place cubes in stockpot add enough water to cover and add salt. Cover and let cook for no more than 5 - 7 minutes. Make sure the pieces do not overcook. Remove from liquid and mash eggplant and put aside. Reserve liquid for further use.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or pot over medium heat and add garlic, tomatoes, onion and peppers. Stirring occasionally, let mixture fry about 2 - 3 minutes. Add chayote and let cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add eggplant, continue stirring and make sure all ingredients are well blended. Add oregano, lemon juice, black pepper and salt to taste. Let cook stirring occasionally so eggplant and chayote do not stick to pan. Occasionally add water (eggplant liquid) if necessary. Let cook over medium to low heat until all vegetable are fully cooked. Serve hot with rice, pasta or any other types of grains.