Eggplant, Zucchini, and Fresh Tomato Vegetables Stew is a good idea for weeknight meals. Whether you are a vegetarian, a vegan, or a meat eater, this dish will certainly complete your dinner.
This delicious meatless stew is prepared with eggplant, zucchini, fresh tomatoes, peppers, herbs and spices, and vinegar. Since more people are opting for dishes without meat, you can even fool some carnivores with this dish.
It is uncommon for people living in the Caribbean to eat a meatless stew. They usually serve it with a side of meat and grains such as white rice. If you serve an Islander either a meatless or a meat and veggies stew, there are two questions you will be asked. “Where’s the rice” is the primary question. The secondary question would be, “where’s the boiled plantain?”
It might be a bit late in the season, but I am sure you can still find zucchini at your local supermarket or at other online supermarkets. If not, you can always substitute it with another vegetable.
Here are a few pieces of information about the ingredients in the Eggplant, Zucchini, and Fresh Tomato Vegetables Stew
Zucchini has many significant health benefits. Did you know that this beautiful vegetable is known to reduce weight? Yes indeed! Isn’t that a good reason to eat more of it? It also promotes eye health and prevents all diseases from vitamin C deficiency, like scurvy, sclerosis, and easy bruising. “It helps to cure asthma and has a high content of vitamin C, carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. Zucchini contains significant quantities of potassium, folate, and vitamin A, all of which are important for general good health. Zucchini, when eaten regularly, can effectively lower your homocysteine levels. (https://www.organicfacts.net)
Eggplant has several great health benefits as well. It helps build strong bones and prevent osteoporosis. Eggplant helps “reduce symptoms of anemia, increase cognitive function, improve cardiovascular health, protect the digestive system, help lose weight, manage diabetes, reduce stress, protect infants from birth defects, and even prevent cancer. (https://www.organicfacts.net)
Tomato, as we all know already, has several health benefits. It helps improve eyesight, promotes good stomach health and helps reduce blood pressure. It also helps with diabetes skin problems and urinary tract infections. “Furthermore, tomatoes can increase digestion, stimulate blood circulation, reduce cholesterol levels, improve fluid balance, protect the kidneys, detoxify the body, prevent premature aging, and reduce inflammation and related conditions.” (https://www.organicfacts.net)
When thinking about the information shared above, we should not make it difficult to eat healthily. We have all these natural vegetables full of many great health benefits, and there is no reason to create more excuses. There are many ways you can cook these vegetables. The recipes are endless, whether you want a simple eggplant stew or a zucchini dish. You can even create your own. Once you start following these steps, you will see how easy it will be to eat vegetables. It will become effortless.
Here are a few recipes ideas to enjoy with Eggplant, Zucchini, and Fresh Tomato Vegetables Stew recipe
- How to make Crispy Fried Green Plantains
- The perfect Caribbean Rice and Beans Recipe
- Easy Bulgur Wheat with Red Beans, Peppers and Onions Recipe
Enjoy this Eggplant, Zucchini, and Fresh Tomato Vegetables Stew.
Health Benefits of Zucchini:https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/health-benefits-of-zucchini.html
Health Benefits of Eggplant:https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/health-benefits-of-eggplant.html
- 1 medium to large eggplant diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 small to medium zucchini diced or cubed
- 1 cup red bell peppers diced
- 2 bunches basil leaves chopped finely
- ¾ cup shallots sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes fresh and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon passionfruit vinegar or your preferred fruity vinegar
- Prepared all the ingredients and set them aside.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook for about 3 – 5 minutes stirring occasionally and avoiding browning.
- Add chopped tomatoes and basil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add red peppers, zucchini, cumin, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. C
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, add eggplant, mix well, add passionfruit vinegar, adjust seasoning. Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until all veggies are fully cooked. The vegetables should be cooked and still crunchy.
- Serve hot with your entree or with a rice dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.