Remember my post from a couple of days about beetroots? Here is a recipe to knock your sock off. Fresh Beetroot and Cheese Salad. A side dish that will leave you wanting more!
I don’t think I should bore you again with all the great benefits of beetroots but I would remind you of just a few important points.
Also known as beet, beetroot is a very popular root vegetable that has been proven to have an excellent source of folate, manganese, potassium, dietary fiber, magnesium, vitamin C, iron and vitamin B6 and many more other vitamins and nutrients. It is no wonder that it is part of the super foods.
Besides having the good vitamins and nutrients we often need, recent studies have claimed that beets and beetroot juice can improve athletic performance, lower blood pressure and increase blood flow. One other health benefits of beetroots are for boosting stamina and making muscles work harder. It is no wonder that it is highly recommended to people with iron deficiencies.
A recipe found in one of my cookbooks inspired me to make Fresh Beetroot and Cheese Salad. The name of the original recipe is Fresh Beetroot with Goat Cheese Salad. Although I did not follow the recipe entirely, creating an easier version with everyday ingredients was better. The first time I made my Fresh Beetroots and Cheese Salad was last year when I went to a farm market in New Jersey and bought the most succulent beets I ever tasted. I have been making the recipe the same ever since and the only variation is the cheese. Whatever soft cheese I have I would experiment with taste and texture. To tell you the truth, the cheese does not do much for me. I love beets and especially when roasted. I have tried it with goat cheese, Laughing Cow Cheese and even shredded Gouda cheese, Mozzarella, Gruyere and Blue Cheese. As you can tell I have been busy eating lots of beets.
I have only enjoyed the recipe with a mild goat cheese and Laughing Cow Cheese. The others were either too dry, did not compliment the sweetness of the beets or just did not do much to bring the flavors all together.
You are probably saying why it has taking me so long to post this recipe. Well! I figured that this was the right since beetroots are available in many farmer’s markets. Remember, eat fresh and stay healthy.
Reference: Did you know this about beetroots?
Fresh Beetroot and Cheese Salad
- 2 pounds fresh beetroot
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or Sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill chopped finely
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Scrub the beetroots well and remove stem and leaves. Add to beetroots to a saucepan of salted water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with the point of a knife.
- Drain and cool the beetroots, then peel the skins off and cut the bulbs into wedges.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the vinegar, oil, dill, garlic salt and pepper. Pour over beetroots and mix well. Crumble cheese over the top and serve immediately.