A few ingredients make up this flavorful Gemelli Pasta with Summer Squash, Roasted Chicken, and Ricotta Tomato Sauce. A complete homemade dinner that is perfect for any day of the week.
This creamy homemade pasta dinner is ready in under 30 minutes. Roasted Chicken Breast, fresh summer squash, and sun-dried tomatoes add tons of flavors to the pasta. The ricotta tomato sauce is creamy and delicately coats each noodle. The spices and herbs add a fresh aroma to the entire dish.
Making one pot meals with pasta noodles
This dish is an easy meal to make when you have leftover roasted or grilled chicken breast. I have to confess that I am a huge fan of leftovers. One of the main reasons is because I think leftovers taste better the next day. I love cooking, and I don’t mind making a different meal every day. My leftovers are usually my lunch; if not, then they are often part of dinner.
One of my favorite ways to cook pasta is with leftover chicken or beef. I am not a huge fan of creamy sauces. I prefer tomato sauce with my pasta. But once in a while, I will make a creamy sauce. Not too saucy! With just enough sauce to coat the noodles.
The sauce is usually store-bought Alfredo sauce mixed with Noubess Hot and Spicy Original Sauce. I also make another white sauce with ricotta cheese – this one is trendy in my home. I love using ricotta cheese because it is creamy, and it absorbs the flavors of herbs nicely.
Once you have your noodles, protein, and sauce, the remaining ingredient is a vegetable. Adding slices or chunks of squash is not common, but grated, this is not common. The grated squash makes the dish creamier and flavorful, in my opinion.
A one-pot meal is perfect for when you don’t feel like cooking. Many of these easy pasty recipes are quick and easy. Pasta is one ingredient that is perfect for one-pot meals. When you add vegetables to pasta, you end up with more food to serve. You may want to consider cooking less pasta when adding vegetables.
How to make this pasta noodles recipe
This recipe is from one of my Food & Wine Cookbooks. Over the years, I have added different types of vegetables. The taste would change from the spices to the leftover beef or pork. I like adding Roasted BBQ Chicken or Roasted Pork and even pieces of steak. These choices are perfect. One particular ingredient I never substitute is the sun-dried tomatoes. It is a bold and deep flavoring ingredient for pasta.
Here’s the recipe for the Roasted Chicken Breast.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ½ pound Summer Squash about 1 large or 2 small squash
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Ricotta Cheese and more if you want a creamier sauce
- ½ cup Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil drained and chopped
- Leftover meat or poultry about ¼ pound steak, 1 chicken breast, ¼ pound ham, ¼ pound salami or 3 – 4 uncured sausages links
- ⅛ ground black pepper or 1 teaspoon Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with Herbs
- ¾ pound Pasta noodles elbow macaroni, linguine, Gemelli, bow tie, or fusilli pasta
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Grate the squash, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan or large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the summer squash, minced garlic, salt, and oregano and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ricotta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, leftover roasted chicken breast, and the black pepper or Noubess Hot and Spicy Original sauce.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until just done, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and toss the pasta with the sauce. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.