Chicken is such a versatile meat that one can create endless recipes with it. My version, Gemma’s Chicken with Peppers and Onions, is simple, delicious, spicy and easy to make. This method does not require any frying or searing. The chicken only needs to bake until golden brown for 45 minutes in the oven after marinating for a few hours.
This recipe was created because I was trying to figure other types of ways to cook poultry with my Veggies Hot Pepper Sauce. Just a quick marinate with this sauce and few other ingredients added, and you have wonderful flavors. The sauce is peppery and has a lot of vinegar. So the more liquid than veggies added, the more vinegar taste you will have.
The only way to reduce the vinegar taste is to use let marinade when making the sauce. The taste is a little pungent but still quite good if you like vinegar and spicy foods. The sauce is a made with a little bit of the hot pepper sauce, tomato paste or tomato puree, onions, peppers, water, and butter to give it that buttery taste and silky look.
This dish can be enjoyed with rice white or any other grains you prefer or with root vegetables. I like to enjoy this dish with a side of white or brown rice.
- ½ cup sweet red peppers chopped/sliced
- ½ cup onions sliced
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 pieces chicken legs and thighs cleaned
- 1 lime/lemon
- 5 tablespoons veggies hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon low sodium
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Clean chicken pieces with lime/lemon, rinse, pat dry and place in a freezer bag. In a small bowl mix veggies hot pepper sauce, chicken bouillon, dijon mustard and oil. Pour mixture into bag and make sure that all chicken pieces are well coated. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. (you may want to spray the chicken pieces also for more color when cooked). Do not discard the marinade. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of the marinade and let cook stirring under low heat for about 1 - 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook while stirring for 2 more minutes until well incorporated. Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat. When water starts to boil add peppers and onions. Add chicken pieces, stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and let cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Add butter, stir and let cook for 3 - 5 minutes. Serve hot.