How to make Goat in Creole Sauce or Cabrit en Sauce
Goat in Creole Sauce is considered a staple food in Haiti. Goat meat or “cabrit” is widely eaten roasted, grilled, with sauce, with veggies, etc.
Everyone has his or her recipes and to tell you the truth, I don’t think everyone makes it the same way all the time.
To make this tasty dish, sour orange juice is a must ingredient to use. Many may choose to use lime, but sour orange juice is the best citric agent that helps remove most of the “particular” smell and tenderizes the meat. Like I always say, balsamic vinegar is the best friend of lamb meat, the sour orange juice is the best friend of goat meat.
The recipe for Goat in Creole Sauce is best made with the leg part of the goat. The legs are meatier compared to the other parts of the animal. The meat is marinated for a long time and boiled on low heat until tender. A cooker pressure may also be beneficial as the meat can take a long time to cook. From that point, a creole sauce is created and mixed with the meat to create more flavor.
When serving Goat in Creole Sauce, root vegetables are usually present as well as rice. As it is one of the staple foods in Haiti, goat meat is also well-liked by many other cultures.
Tips on buying goat meat
When buying goat meat, I would also suggest buying fresh goat meat if possible. Usually, meat markets have prepackaged meats that are already cut into small pieces. These prepackaged meat are not the best cuts. They may contain a lot of fat and bones and therefore will be a waste of money.
Try looking for prepackaged meat with less fat and meat cuts that are lean and look fresh and not too frozen with frostbites. You may also prefer to buy a whole leg which is sometimes more beneficial and my preferred way of obtaining meat. Choose your goat leg with caution and ask the butcher to cut the meat about 3 – 4 inches as the meat will shrink in size when cooked.
The recipe for goat in creole sauce
When preparing goat, a good spice mixture is necessary. A blend of fresh spices is the way to go. Usually, my mixture will have garlic, parsley, thyme, scallions, onion, salt, pepper, whole cloves, and Noubess Original Hot and Spicy with Herbs blend.
The fresh spices may be mashed in a pestle and mortar, the old fashion way, or processed in a blender or food processor as the modern way of preparing spices. After cleaning, the meat cuts are mixed well with the spice mixture and marinated for an extended period. Marinating time is recommended for all types of meat.
Goat meat with sauce is usually served with rice or root vegetables. You will often see a lettuce and tomato salad as an accompaniment as well. This dish is also served during the week or usually on Saturdays when bouillon is not being served.
When cooking most types of meat stew or meat with a creole sauce room temperature water is best to use when extra liquid is needed. Having the right taste is key for a successful meat stew. The colder the water, the more difficult it will be to fix the taste of the meat.
You can also use hot water, but make sure you season the water before adding it to the dish.
Enjoy my recipe for Goat in Creole Sauce. Don’t forget to drop me a comment and get your Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with Herbs Blend.
Goat in Creole Sauce
- 2 – 3 pounds Goat meat cut in 3 – 4 inches
- Limes Lemons or White Vinegar for cleaning meat
- 1/3 cup Sour Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 full sprig Fresh Thyme
- 3/4 tsp Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with Herbs blend
- 1 medium White Onion – sliced
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper cubed or sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Scallions – roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste + 1/3 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
- Trim excess fat from meat cuts. Clean with lemon, lime or vinegar and rinse with cold water well and drain.
- Add all spices in food processor or blender or pestle and mortar if using. Blend or mash ingredients until a paste is form. If using blender or food processor add sour orange juice and blend well.
- In a bowl, mix well spices, Noubess Hot and Spicy Original sauce and meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Allow meat to be at room temperature before cooking. In a heavy pan, add meat and boil until tender and checking occasionally. Add hot water (only 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water) if meat needs more liquid and time to cook. Remove meat from sauce and set aside. Strain meat sauce and set aside. Remove any excess fat from liquid if necessary.
- In a saucepan add oil and tomato paste. Cook tomato paste with oil until well blended until low heat. Increase heat to medium setting and add meat pieces. Roast turning occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add chopped fresh tomatoes and cook while stirring for about 2 – 3 minutes or until the tomato chunks have started to release their juice. Add 2 tablespoon of meat sauce at a time until well incorporate. If not enough meat sauce add hot water – 1/2 to 3/4 cup only. Add onion and green pepper, season to taste with salt and pepper and with additional Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with Herbs blend if necessary. And cook for additional 5 to 7 minutes until sauce thickens a bit. Remove from heat and serve with rice or root vegetables.
Always add hot water and not cold water to retain the taste of the herbs and spices. Cold water will make the meat taste bland.
Cooking time may differ if meat pieces are smaller of larger.
The longer the meat marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
***Original published date: January 26, 2014
Hi, is there a substitute for the Noubess herb sauce? I really want to surprise my Haitian girlfriend with this dish for Christmas, but just saw this recipe and ordered the Noubess sauce (which I’m afraid won’t be delivered in time). Any help is appreciated.
Hi Jerry. Unfortunately, we cannot advise on any substitution as the sauces are unique in taste and texture. Both packages were delivered to USPS early this morning and should be received by the 24th (date of delivery) – We cannot guarantee that the packages will arrive on time. Hopefully, they will, and you will be able to cook for your girlfriend. Thanks for placing your order with Noubess.
I made this dish and it came out perfectly!
Hi Valerie, thanks for trying out our recipe. I am glad that it came out perfectly. Have an awesome day!