Last updated on November 18th, 2022 at 05:54 pm
Haitian Spaghetti, an easy and friendly recipe that is made completely from scratch. Not too saucy, flavored with the right spices and tons of deliciousness from the uncured sausages.
This is Easy weeknight-friendly spaghetti and meat sauce that’s made completely from scratch.
What is Haitian Spaghetti one might ask? Haitian Spaghetti is made with spaghetti, hot dogs, tomato paste or ketchup, and spices. The recipe can be made in different ways; not a lot of ingredients and it does not take long to make. Unlike other recipes, the tomato paste or ketchup must be cooked in oil before the pasta is added. That is how the pasta gets its color.
Many individuals including myself have altered the recipe by changing the hot dogs for other types of meat links. My recipe usually has seafood, Italian sausage, chicken sausage, cut-up ham meat or turkey sausage, or no meat depending on my mood.
Other add-ons to this pasta dish
Many people will add smoked herrings that must be desalted before cooking. Another variation I have tried is with anchovies, which has somewhat a similar taste to the smoked herrings but is still good.
You can also add vegetables if you don’t want to add meat. Spinach and kale are perfect add-ons.
Haitian Spaghetti is what you made it out to be with the ingredients you use. The main goal is to obtain the reddish color and the desired taste. I usually use organic tomato paste instead of regular tomato paste.
How it is served
Typically in Haiti, this dish is served for breakfast and lunch. It can even be served for dinner because it is so versatile. It is a full meal and is also served with avocado slices. The pasta is not saucy because there is no sauce. And not dry either because of the reserved spaghetti water.
This recipe is made with organic spicy Mango and Jalapeno chicken sausage. You can choose any other types of meats, poultry, or seafood.
Here’s what you do:
- Cook the pasta according to the packaging instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a pot, pan fry the sausage or hot dogs. If using leftover meat, you can add it to the tomato paste mixture before adding the pasta.
- In a separate pan, cook the tomato paste in the oil until completely mixed. Add spices and meat and then noodles.
Want to make it spicy?
Other dishes ideas to serve my version of Haitian Spaghetti.
Here’s the recipe for haitian spaghetti
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 cup white onions
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 5 chicken sausages or hot dogs or any other types of links or meat (organic preferred)
- 1 ½ tablespoons chicken bouillon powder low sodium preferably
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups reserve pasta water
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper crushed or habanero pepper – optional
- Boil pasta according to the packaging. In a heavy large saucepan, heat oil and add tomato sauce or ketchup. (if using ketchup add one additional tablespoon) Cook tomato paste for 3 – 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add garlic, onion, thyme, and cook for 4 minutes while stirring to blend. Add chicken bouillon and stir.
- In a separate pan, cook or pan-fried sausages in a very little oil. Add to the tomato mixture.
- Add pasta to the pot with the tomato and sausages mixture and stir to blend while gradually adding the pasta water. Lower heat and cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add crushed red pepper if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a salad.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.