Let’s skip store-bought pancake mix for this healthy and delicious Homemade Fluffy Spelt Flour Buttermilk Pancakes recipe. A simple and delicious recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes made with Spelt Flour. Serve the pancakes with your syrup or butter and fruits for a delicious breakfast.
We all agree that a healthy breakfast is recommended for long days of hard work. Working from home not only gives us the opportunity to create scrumptious and delicious meals but also recipes that we enjoy. If virtual work is not something that is your agenda then let’s cook something everyone will enjoy.
How about a healthy dose of carbs
Pancakes usually will satisfy our carb cravings unless we make homemade biscuits. Fluffy homemade pancakes are always the ultimate comfort breakfast food. If you have tried my Tapioca Flour Pancakes, these Fluffy Spelt Packages will also knock your socks off.
Spelt flour has a nutty flavor, is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, and vitamins and minerals. Flour substitution is quite easy with this type of flour. The worry is moisture. You might need to increase the amount of butter or oil depending on the recipe.
Carbs are good and bad for us. We must try to consume healthy carbs as much as we can. The only way to make sure that we consume healthy doses of carbs is by making homemade pancakes. They are better than store-bought and do not take long to make.
Making Fluffy Pancakes
Adding buttermilk to spelt flour to make pancakes is the best way to go in my opinion. Buttermilk Spelt Pancakes contain the fat from the buttermilk and additional fat from the melted butter. The recipe does contains melted and choosing a good brand makes a lot of difference.
The recipe came from Bob’s Red Mills Spelt Flour packaging. The recipe is very easy to follow. The only problem I had with it is that it did not mention to grease the griddle or pan before adding the pancaked mixture. A person who is not used to make pancakes may not know to add either a little butter or use spray butter.
I think fluffy homemade pancakes need buttermilk. Buttermilk not only help with moisture but is also helps the flour stay light.
Pancake Recipe Using Spelt Flour
The homemade pancakes recipe starts with mixing wet ingredients separately and dry ingredients separately.
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Spelt Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Preheat griddle to medium heat, about 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk to combine, taking care not to overmix the batter.
- Pour 1/4 cup portion onto hot griddle and cook until bubbles form on the surface, about 3-4 minutes, flip and continue to cook through on the second side. Serve hot.
- Recipe yields 4 servings.
Tips and Notes
- No need to use a griddle. You can also use a skillet or frying pan.
- Use Pam spray or your favorite butter spray and spray the pan before adding the batter. This will avoid sticking.
- Use a flat spatula with an angled handle to flip the pancakes.
- Maple syrup, honey, and even soft butter are great with pancakes.
- Fresh fruits like berries are more common. You can also use oranges, mandarin or tangerine, apples, and pineapple
- Ginder, nutmeg, and cinnamon will add more flavor to the batter. I prefer adding ginger powder.
- Add a side of bacon strips or sausages for a complete and full breakfast.
Pancakes are comfort food. It does not matter the time of the day they will always taste delicious and filling.