Thanksgiving should not be the only holiday to enjoy a good turkey recipe. These days turkey legs are available year-round in supermarkets. Eating turkey should be as normal as eating chicken. It is part of the poultry family after all!
Cooking Turkey Legs
There are several methods or ways to cook a turkey. When a whole turkey is cut up, it becomes easier to prepare. The different parts can be cooked separately or together in a large pot.
All types of poultry need seasoning but turkey requires more. In general large birds needs more seasoning than smaller birds. Turkey, not only need lots of seasoning but the right herbs and spices as well. Usually, the right mixture of common fresh herbs and spices, such as parsley, thyme, scallions, garlic, black pepper are recommended.
Spices or condiments such as Noubess Hot and Spicy Originals is perfect to use with turkey. The reason is bold flavors. Certain types of poultry need a strong seasoning blend because of the thickness of the fletch.
How to keep moisture
The key to a good turkey legs recipe is also the cooking process. The slow cooking for several hours in a crockpot is ideal. The legs are incredibly tender and tasty. I have found that process ideal for retaining the moisture.
Roasting in the oven is the trickiest. You can roast the meat by maintaining a low, steady heat for hours, but you won’t have the brown golden color we always want with this type of meat. When this happens, turning on the broiler for a few minutes will make the meat turn golden brown.
With this recipe, I chose to first cook the legs in a crockpot. When the legs are almost cooked, they are transferred onto a baking sheet and place under the broiler for a few minutes. If you do not have a crockpot, you can use your oven. Cover the meat with aluminum foil first then uncover and let it roast for coloring. The process may be tidiest, but it works.
The recipe starts with cleaning the meat your preferred way. I use lemon to clean most of my poultry. I normally rub lemon wedges all over the meat, give it a quick rinse and I am done.
Next is the seasoning. A mixture of my favorite dry and wet seasoning, Noubess Poultry Seasoning, Noubess Hot and Spicy Mango and ground fennel. Everything is mixed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
The legs are cooked with the seasoning for about 3 hours on high and then 10 minutes under the broiler. Each crockpot and oven are different. You will have to adjust the cooking time and the amount of heat.
If you are looking for something delicious for your turkey legs, yet simple and easy, this is your recipe. Your meal will look fancy, and no one will know your secrets. Always use strong seasoning and condiments for flavoring.
- 4 turkey legs medium size
- 2 tbsp Noubess Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp Noubess Hot and Spicy Mango Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- First clean meat your preferred way. Use lemon or vinegar and rinse. Pat dry each leg and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix poultry seasoning, mango sauce, fennel, salt, oil, and lemon juice.
- Mix marinade with legs and place crockpot. Cook on high for about 3 hours.
- Remove from crockpot, place on a prepared baking pan, and roast under the broiler for about 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and serve with your preferred side dish.
- Every crockpot and oven temperature is different. Adjust the temperature and cooking time accordingly.
- Spray of sprinkle olive oil on the meat before placing under the broiler. Alternatively, use PAM oil spray.