Lemon cake is a light, refreshing dessert perfect for any occasion. It is made with a simple batter that is flavored with lemon zest, lemon-infused olive oil, and lemon juice. The cake is then topped with powdered sugar and Candied Lemon slices, adding sweetness to the tart lemon flavor.
Do you love baking but feel like you’re in a rut with your usual recipes? Are you looking for a way to add some zing to your desserts? Look no further than this mouthwatering lemon cake recipe! Bursting with bright citrus flavor, this cake is sure to impress your taste buds and your guests. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and perfect for any occasion, from a casual weekend brunch to a fancy dinner party. Plus, the combination of lemon and cake is a classic that will never go out of style. So why not zest up your baking game and give this recipe a try? Your taste buds (and your guests!) will thank you.
Lemon cake is a popular dessert for spring and summer when lemons are in season. It is also a popular choice for baby showers and bridal showers. The cake can be served plain or with various toppings, such as fresh fruit, whipped cream, a lemon glaze, a drizzle of rum, or cake icing.
To make the lemon cake, you need the following ingredients
Before you start preparing your lemon cake, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need. These ingredients are easily found in your pantry and can also be found in your local grocery store.
- Olive oil: this recipe requires only 1/2 cup of olive oil. The remaining oil is lemon-infused.
- Lemon-infused olive oil – only 1/2 cup is needed, totaling 1 cup. (regular olive oil + lemon-infused olive oil)
- Eggs: use large eggs, preferably, and at room temperature.
- Granulated sugar: you can also use raw sugar.
- Vanilla extract: to flavor the cake
- Fresh Lemon Juice: for the citrus flavor, the cake needs
- Zest from 3 lemons
- Salt, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda: normally required for the cake batter.
- All-purpose flour: use a good brand of flour.
- Whole milk: can use low-fat milk and must be at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar for dusting and optional; use one without corn starch.
Equipment needed for Lemon Cake
To make this lemon cake recipe, you’ll need the following equipment:
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Grater or zester
- 9-inch cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
Instructions for Lemon Cake
Once you have all the ingredients and equipment ready, it’s time to prepare for your lemon cake. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter or cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, and beat until just combined.
- Stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and remove the parchment paper.
- Let the cake cool completely before serving.
Baking and serving Lemon Cake
Once the lemon cake has cooled, it’s time to serve it. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar or make a simple glaze by mixing powdered sugar and lemon juice until it reaches a desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and let it set before serving.
This lemon cake is perfect for any occasion, from a morning tea to a fancy dinner party. It goes well with tea, coffee, or a glass of milk. Serve it with fresh berries or whipped cream for an extra touch of sweetness.
Note and Tips
Lemon cake is a delicious and versatile dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or with a variety of toppings. It is a perfect choice for any occasion, and it is sure to please everyone who tries it.
- Use fresh and firm lemons to zest for the best flavor.
- Zest the lemons before juicing them. This will help to maximize the lemon flavor in the cake.
- Use room temperature ingredients, especially the eggs and butter, to help the batter mix together evenly.
- Bake the cake until it is just done.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting it. This will help to prevent the frosting from melting.
- Want a glaze? The glaze for a lemon cake is typically made with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and water. The glaze is poured over the cooled cake to add a touch of sweetness and to help keep the cake moist.
- Want to frost the cake? The frosting for a lemon cake is typically made with butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. The frosting is piped onto the cooled cake to add a layer of sweetness and to make the cake look more festive.
With these tips, you can make a delicious and moist lemon cake that everyone will love.
Here are some frequently asked questions about lemon cake:
- Q: Can I make this cake ahead of time?
- A: Yes! This cake can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Q: Can I freeze this cake?
- A: Yes! This cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- Q: Can I use a different size cake pan?
- A: Yes, but you may need to adjust the baking time. A smaller pan will require a longer baking time, while a larger pan will require a shorter baking time.
Variations for Lemon Cake
If you want to change up the flavor of your lemon cake, here are some variations you can try:
- Add poppy seeds to the batter for a lemon poppy seed cake.
- Use orange juice and zest instead of lemon for an orange cake.
- Substitute the olive oil for blood orange olive oil.
- Make a lemon cream cheese frosting to top your cake.
This mouthwatering lemon cake recipe is a perfect addition to your baking repertoire. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also bursting with bright citrus flavor. Serve it at your next brunch, dinner party, or just for a weekend treat. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations to make it your own. Happy baking!