Have you ever wanted to eat meat or poultry with something sweet, but not too sweet, or maybe spicy and sweet? It is amazing how our taste of chicken has changed.
Many people get up in the morning knowing what they are in the mood for and some need to open their refrigerator and hope for real inspiration. The latter is what happened with Mango Chicken.
I do not often cook meat, but mango is a fruit I find to go well with different types of meats. Mango is usually part of salsa that serves as a topping to meat. To me, that is the easiest and simple way. But when you cook mango with chicken, you get a different taste. The chicken absorbs the juice of the mango, and the result is a sweet tangy and salty taste.
Prepping and making the chicken recipe
I marinated chicken legs with onions, garlic hoisin sauce, black pepper, champagne vinegar and fleur de sel. These ingredients may not be in your pantry, but they can be used in many other dishes you create and may provide the distinctive taste you are looking for.
Marinating the meat overnight was the best result. The chicken was well seasoned. I chose to bake the chicken in the oven because I did not want to pan fry or roast for a few minutes then place it in the oven. The dish would have taken too long to make.
The best part of this recipe I think, is cooking the marinade with the mango. That was so much better! You could also use mango chutney if you did not have fresh mangoes. Mango Chutney has sugar which may make the dish a little too sweet unless that is what you prefer.
Tips and tricks
I used champagne vinegar because of its mild taste and fleur de sel because of flavoring. These two ingredients can be substituted, but you won’t have the same result in taste.
You may want to use a mild vinegar such as Rice Vinegar. You may replace Fleur de Sel with Sea Salt of Kosher Salt. Each type of salt has a different taste — keep that in mind. So here is Mango Chicken
- 4 pieces chicken legs or thighs
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic hoisin sauce store bought
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and more to taste
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fleur de sel
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup mango cubed, about 1 large mango
- salt to taste
- Clean chicken pieces with vinegar/lemon juice, rinse with water, and pat dry. Marinate chicken with onion, garlic hoisin sauce, ground black pepper, champagne, and salt for at least 1 hour or overnight. Remove chicken from marinade (save marinade for later) and bake 20 minutes on a baking dish at 400°F . Turn chicken pieces over and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add unsalted butter and marinade. Cook mixture for 3 - 4 minutes while stirring. Add mango cubes and cook for 6 - 8 minutes stirring occasionally. Add 4 tablespoons of sauce from baked chicken pieces or add 4 tablespoons of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add habanero hot sauce at the end if using. Place chicken pieces on a platter and pour mango sauce and serve hot with rice or any other types of grains.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.