I am in the mood for My Favorite Apple Tart recipe. So crunchy and delicious! Today, it is all about apples! My Favorite Apple Tart recipe is the classic French Apple Tart, or Tarte aux Pommes made with fresh apples, homemade applesauce and apricot jelly for that tangy and sweet taste we all love. It is full of flavor, crunchy and delicious. The apples are not sautéed or cooked before baking. They are tossed in the right spice blend and baked with a touch of apricot glaze.
To complete this beautiful dessert, a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream is my preferred choice. You can also serve it with whipped cream or Crème Fraiche. And don’t forget that the tart tastes better when warm.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold water and more if needed
- 6 medium-sized apples baking apples: golden delicious preferred
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 - 12 ounce jar apricot preserves
- 1/8 tsp orange liquor
- To prepare the pastry dough: In a medium bowl, add flour, butter, salt, sugar and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Mix all ingredients with fingertips until just blended, adding more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed. Press dough onto the bottom and up side of a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Make sure dough is evenly distributed. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- To make the filling: Peel and core 3 apples, and cut in chunks. In a blender, gradually combine chunks with 1/4 cup water until pureed. Mixture should be smooth. Pour pureed apples into a saucepan with 1/2 cup apricot preserves and 1 tbsp sugar. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes and until mixture is very thick, stirring frequently.
- Peel remaining apples and cut each lengthwise into quarters and remove cores. Cut each apple quarter lengthwise into 1/8 inch-thick slices. Add slices into a large bowl and gently toss with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Remove tart shell from refrigerator. Evenly spread applesauce into tart shell. Arrange apple slices closely overlapping, in small circles. Start from the center of the applesauce filling and form circle. Arrange remaining apple slices, closely overlapping in large circle over the applesauce filling. Place tart in a large baking sheet and bake 45 minutes or until apples slices are tender and browned. Remove pan and let cook on a wire rack.
- Add remaining apricot preserves into a small saucepan. Add 1/8 tsp orange liquor and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until mixture is thicker. Remove from heat. Using a pastry brush, brush apricot mixture evenly over apple slices. Before serving, carefully remove pan.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.