Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 02:40 pm
Many salad recipes just scream “please eat me!” Onion Salad with Dates is one of them. This salad is packed with tons of flavors, sweet aroma and a crunchy taste you will always remember. With the sweetness of the dates and the crunchiness of the onions, this salad will certainly be on the list of excellent entertaining salads.
The onion salad looks delicious enough to want to taste and especially when the dates slices resemble meat. Many onion recipes may not look appetizing, but other may be worth trying depending on the types of onions used. Vidalia Onion is the choice of onion for this salad.
Vidalia Onion is a variety of sweet onion with higher water content. Did you know that Vidalia Onion was named Georgia’s Official State Vegetable by the State legislature in 1990? When you have a chance, look up Vidalia Onion on the internet and read about the story. Fascinating!
This salad is packed with delicious flavors. From the infused macadamia nut oil, olive oil, and the vinegar, it is a total crowd-pleaser and will certainly impress your guests and family at your next barbecue or dinner party. And the best thing about this salad is that you can prepare it in advance!
You don’t need to wear gargle or any protective glasses. You will need a sharp knife to slice the onion and the dates thinly.
After tossing the ingredients with the dressing, the salad is stored in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, so all the flavors are properly infused together.
Not only this salad is easy to prepare, but it also goes perfectly with roasted or grilled meat and even fried or baked fish. You can make this at home the next time you want a fancy dinner.
- 2 medium or 1 large Vidalia Onion slices julienne
- 12 - 16 Dates sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Macadamia Nut Infused Oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- Pinch of ground black pepper optional
- Salt to taste
- Remove the outer layer of the onion(s).
- With a sharp knife, slice the onion(s).
- Place in a large bowl and set aside. Remove the seed in the dates if any. Slice the dates and add them to the sliced onion.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk both oils, cinnamon, lemon juice, sugar, black pepper if using and salt.
- Drizzle the dressing on the onion and dates slices and stir to combine. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Let the ingredients marinate for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator, sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon if preferred. Serve as a side dish for roasted, grilled or fried meat, poultry and seafood.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.