Last updated on June 16th, 2022 at 11:20 pm
Crunchy chayote and sweet potatoes seasoned and pan-roasted in an aromatic blend of herbs and dried spices. Pan-Roasted Chayote with Sweet Potatoes with Herbs is an ideal side dish for family dinners.
The ideal recipe for a side dish is sometimes created with simple ingredients. Many of these recipes are put together by home cooks either by accident or experimentation. What can go wrong with mixing vegetables with fresh herbs?
A healthy way to benefit from the curative properties of certain types of herbs is to cook vegetables with the right mixture of fresh herbs. Culinary herbs are essential in cooking. They enhance the flavor of foods and have great health benefits as well. A few common herbs found in many kitchens include parsley, scallions, and thyme.
We all know we should be consuming at least half to a cup of vegetables every day. Adding herbs and spices enhances the flavor of vegetables and makes them more appetizing.
How do you come up with a winning recipe
Successful recipes take time to create. Not all culinary herbs create the perfect balance of flavors. But again, that may vary from culture, palate,
The recipe for Pan-Roasted Chayote with Sweet Potatoes is simple. Parsley, scallions, thyme, shallots, salt, pepper, and garlic and herbs spice. The ingredients are slow-cooked in a hot pan under low to medium heat.
The dos and the don’ts for roasted chayote
Every recipe has dos and don’ts. For this recipe, it is important to remember that chayote is very moist. The vegetable will provide enough liquid for all the ingredients to cook. And if for any reason you need to add water, add very little at a time. But if the heat under the pan is on low setting, and you have patience, the dish will taste much better when cooked without water.
The right pan is necessary! A nonstick pan is ideal, but any heavy bottom pan where the heat is evenly distributed will work.
Cooking the vegetables in good olive oil is ideal. You can also use grapeseed oil or sunflower oil. Coconut oil tends to be very smoky and not recommended.
Lastly, both chayote and sweet potatoes must be cut into small cubes so everything is cooked evenly and fast.
Here’s the recipe for roasted chayote
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large chayote peel, core removed and cut into small cubes
- 2 medium sweet potato peel, cut into small cubes
- 2 scallions chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley roughly chopped
- 1 sprig thyme leaves only
- 1/3 cup shallots or 1 large chopped or sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp Noubess Garlic and Herbs Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, add all ingredients and cook over moderate heat occasionally turning to facilitate cooking. When the chayote starts to release its juice, lower the heat and continue cooking for about 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Cover the pan and continue cooking occasionally turning for about 10 minutes or until everything is cooked and the chayote is still crunchy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer content to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite meat, poultry or seafood dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.