This quick pickled red onions recipe is easy to make in just 30 minutes. Just enough time to enjoy it with your favorite sandwich or steak dinner. You can either use Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce or Noubess Mango Hot and Spicy Sauce.
If you are an avid cook, you probably have all types of vinegar. If you have been reading a lot about the benefits of apple cider vinegar, you probably have this miracle ingredient in your pantry.
For many of my recipes, such as Boiled Yucca with Pan Roasted Red Onions or Boiled Green Plantains with Garlic and Onion having pickled red onions on hand makes life easier. It certainly makes life much easier when making a quick sandwich or even enjoying vegetables without any protein. Are you also trying to eat more vegetables than meat these days?
How to make pickled red onions
You will be surprised to know that this recipe is very easy. The big surprise is the taste. Have you ever had pickled onions that needed a spicy kick of freshness? Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce delivers just that. You have salty, sweet, and spicy in one jar!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Prepare a mason jar. Preferably one that is easy to open. (wash with hot water and soap or in the dishwasher). Wipe well inside and out.
- Slice the red onions as thin as you can! I use a sharp knife because I don’t need the onions to be paper-thin. You can also use a mandoline if you prefer.
- Add the onion slices in the jar.
- In a saucepan add the remaining ingredients starting with the vinegar. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Do not boil!
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar and cover with the lid.
- Let marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in your refrigeration for up to 2 weeks.
Should you customize this recipe?
You can certainly do so. But I will advise you not to until you try the recipe first. The hot sauce gives it a lot of flavors. And remember, the more hot sauce you use, the spicier your Pickled Onions will be.
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH PICKLED RED ONIONS
Pickled red onions are delicious on sandwiches, grilled steak, grilled meat, seafood, and poultry, boiled plantains, boiled yucca, or boiled potatoes with butter.
Try the recipe and enjoy!
- 1 large or 2 small red onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener such as honey, agave, maple syrup, sugar
- Peel and slice the onions thinly and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the apple cider vinegar, Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce, salt and your desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Place the thinly-sliced onions in a small bowl or pint-sized cleaned mason jar. Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions. Gently stir until combined if you’re using a bowl. If you’re using a mason jar, place the lid on top, hold the jar with a kitchen towel and give it a quick shake.
- Let the onion slices marinate for at least 30 minutes before using it. Let the mixture cool off before refrigeration. Store up to 2 weeks.
Use as topping for sandwiches, salads, vegetables, roasted or grilled meat, poultry or seafood.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.