A Quick and Easy Chayote Salad to make for dinner. Chayote, also known as mirliton, chocho, christophine, sayote, etc. is a vegetable with many significant health benefits. It is low in calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Chayote is the perfect vegetable side dish to complete your meal. It is also an excellent source of antioxidant.
Served as a side dish or main course if you follow a vegan diet, this Quick and Easy Chayote Salad. The Chayote is slightly cooked and tossed with a mixture of Champagne vinegar and fresh herbs and spices to create an aromatic vinaigrette.
Crunchy chayote tossed in a vinaigrette to create a quick and easy salad. This Chayote recipe is an easy and simple salad that will compliment your meal. Serve it with your favorite main course.
For a more exciting taste, add Gemma’s Pineapple Gourmet Hot Sauce in the vinaigrette. The hot sauce will add not only flavor but the aroma will be a bit fruity and spicy. Just the condiment to make this beautiful side dish a winner.
- 2 chayotes
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped finely
- 1 whole garlic crushed/chopped finely
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- 1/8 teaspoon Gemma's Pineapple Gourmet Hot Sauce
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cut/slice the chayote in half (lengthwise). Remove the core, and with a knife peel the skin. Slice chayote in cubes.
- Cook the chayote cubes in salted water for 10 - 15 minutes. Do not overcook. Make sure the chayote cubes are still crunchy.
- While the Chayote is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette by mixing, the vinegar, oil, shallot, garlic, scallions, Pineapple Gourmet Hot Sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove the Chayote cubes and drain well. Place in a bowl and tossed with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.