A quick and easy fennel salad with oranges and dried figs is refreshing and delicious. When the weather starts to warm up, we are always on the hunt for quick and light meals. Salads are a great way to stay nutritious with the right ingredients of course, but again they are quick and easy to prepare.
Fennel also labeled fresh anise, is an aromatic edible plant with many great health benefits and rich in nutrients. The Fennel plant is very versatile and is used in many recipes.
Fennel has a crunchy texture and mildly sweet flavor. It can be eaten raw or cooked. All parts of the fennel plant can be eaten. The seeds of this edible plant (dried or fresh) are used as a condiment in many recipes.
To create the vinaigrette:
To make the vinaigrette I use about 1/8 of a teaspoon of my Original Hot and Spicy Blend of goodness to create a subtle kick. Mix the olive oil, champagne vinegar and with the spicy blend and you have a vinaigrette ready in 2 minutes. You can use any other types of vinegar if you want.
Best ways to serve
Fennel Salad is best served with grilled or roasted meat or seafood. You can also eat it without any meat, poultry or seafood.
Quick and Easy Fennel Salad with Oranges and dried Figs
- 1 large fennel bulb or 2 small bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges washed and peeled
- 6 dried figs sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon Gemma’s Original Hot and Spicy Herbs Blend
- Wash fennel thoroughly. Place the sliced and dried fennel in a salad bowl. Slice oranges to divide flesh sections and add to bowl. Add sliced dried figs. In a small bowl, add olive oil, champagne vinegar, and Hot and Spicy Herbs Blend. Stir vigorously to mix oil and vinegar to create a vinaigrette. Drizzle salad with vinaigrette, toss and serve.