Last updated on November 20th, 2022 at 12:14 pm
Quick Fried Chicken Recipe – Homemade fried chicken is my favorite food. This recipe for quick fried chicken is the easiest you will ever find. It tastes delicious and works with any chicken part you want to use. It cooks quickly for a fast dinner on busy days but also tastes good whether sitting in the fridge overnight or reheated!
Remember those days when you just wanted fried foods but felt guilty? You try incorporating a few greens into your diet so your conscience wouldn’t torment you. That’s what happened to me today. I did not plan on cooking today and just wanted to post some helpful tips, which I meant to do for a long time.
I rushed home to start working early on the posts and found myself in the refrigerator. Nothing in my fridge looked appetizing, mainly since I ate two fruits for breakfast and a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch.
I was searching for some out-of-this-world food to satisfy my hunger. I had to think quickly. So I came up with a Quick Fried Chicken meal that would not make me feel too guilty for eating fried foods two days in a row.
Thank heaven for the microwave! While the chicken pieces were defrosting in the microwave, I gathered my spices, onion powder, herbes de Provence, ground fennel, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, ground sage, salt, ground black pepper, bouquet garni (fresh parsley and thyme).
I did not have time to let the chicken marinate for several hours, so with the juice of 1 lime, the ground spices, and the olive oil, a paste was formed to season the pieces.
All I had to do while the chicken was partially cooking in the heavy pot (Dutch Oven preferably) was to figure out the side dishes. Fried plantains, fried sweet potatoes, lettuce, red pepper salad, and avocado. That was not bad for someone who was starving. A complete meal without a guilty conscience!
First, the chicken pieces were cleaned, and the skin was removed. I rarely cook chicken with skin-on. I don’t because the skin is sometimes too fatty, and the pieces are easier to handle when frying.
After the chicken pieces had been cleaned, they were cooked for 15 minutes with the spices and the bouquet garni (parsley and thyme) – no water added.
All I had to do was to come up with a system to fry everything and not waste too much time. It is always best to cook plantains or root vegetables before frying meat.
Everything will retain their taste. There is no need to drench the chicken pieces in flour to get that golden brown color and crispness. The spice mixture will give the meat a golden color.
So next time you are in the mood for fried foods, try making this meal. Very simple and easy, and all the ingredients are available in your kitchen, including the side dishes. If not, a quick trip to the supermarket will help.
Quick Fried Chicken can be served with fried plantains, fried sweet potatoes, lettuce salad, and avocado. A delicious meal to enjoy.
- 6 pieces chicken legs and thighs
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon fennel ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bouquet garni Parsley and Thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- vegetable oil for frying
- After cleaning chicken with vinegar and water, do not pat dry. Add pieces in a heavy pot large enough to hold them. Do not overcrowd or overlap the pieces.
- In a separate bowl mix all the ground spices, lime juice and oil to form a paste. With you hands add paste to chicken. Make sure all the pieces are well coated with the spices. Add the bouquet garni and cover. On medium high heat, partially cook chicken covered for 15 minutes turning occasionally. Do not add water. The chicken will release its own juice. After 15 minutes remove from stove top and set aside.
- In a frying pan, add vegetable oil. When oil reaches about 375°F , add pieces slowly. Fry each piece 3 – 5 minutes per side. Remove and place on dish plated with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To make a sauce with the marinade left in the pot, remove bouquet garni and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon tomato paste and stir until dissolved and add shallots. Cook for 2 – 4 minutes. Add little bit of water if necessary. Season to taste. Serve with fried chicken.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.