Roasted Acorn Squash
Roasted Acorn Squash is the perfect side dish and can also be a complete meal. It’s easy to make, hearty, and has a slightly nutty flavor that goes well with a meat or poultry entree. This recipe is a must-try!
You may have seen this squash in the produce aisle of your local supermarket and may not have been sure how to cook it. But first, let’s talk about its benefits.
Acorn Squash Bendefits
This squash is packed with healthy nutrients, has a sweet and nutty taste, and is easy to roast. This squash is low in calories and contains many vitamins such as A, C, B1, B6, and B9. Let’s not forget iron, potassium, and magnesium.
If Acorn squash is still available at the supermarket, how about making Roasted Acorn Squash for dinner?
How to prepare acorn squash
What is a better way to warm my heart and not think about why the weather is not so great? A delicious and simple roasted squash recipe is excellent comfort food.
Acorn Squash is a winter squash that is easy to prepare. This type of squash is most commonly roasted or baked but can be prepared in other ways also such as sautéed, steamed, or microwaved. The latter is not for me since I only like to use my microwave for re-heating.
This is a simple, easy way and no-fuss recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash. Only unsalted butter, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper of paprika are needed. Many people will add brown sugar or maple syrup, but I find it too sweet. I enjoy the saltiness mixed with the natural sweetness of the squash. This is a light and healthy meal. Enjoy!
Tips and Notes
- Acorn Squash is perfect when stuffed with other ingredients such as wild rice, apples, or a mixture of croutons and sausages.
- Change the seasoning by using Cajun Seasoning, Chili Seasoning, and even a dash of cinnamon.
- Be sure to use a cutting board and a sharp knife to slice open the squash.
- Wash the squash before cutting.
- Use a spoon to remove the seeds
Other recipes made with squash
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- EASY SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
- THE BEST AND MOST NATURAL SQUASH DISH
- SIMPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPETIZER SOUP
Roasted Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash and towel dry the acorn. Cut the acorn in half and scoop out the inside and discard. Spread the butter all over the inside of the squash, sprinkle brown sugar and black pepper.
- Place acorn halves on a baking dish with water. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting a knife into the flesh. Make sure it is cooked all the way. If not return to oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Updated and revised on 2/26/2022.