Roasted Beets, Radishes and Basil Salad: I was surprised to see the price of beets when shopping for vegetables the other day. The price did not go down by much, but it was good enough to persuade me to buy a bunch.
I’ve always thought that lack of rain and manpower were the two major causes of price increases during the hot season. But is seems that prices of many fruits and vegetables increased automatically whether the produce comes for a region that is affected by droughts or not.
I know farmers have had a hard time adjusting to modernization and the numerous health trends that seems to pop up here and there. But that did not stop me to create my Roasted Beets Radishes and Basil Salad.
During the summer, for some odd reason, I find it easier to eat beets than during the winter. Not sure if it is because of the color or taste, but I guess because it is a vegetable that you cannot do much with, a salad is always the answer. Roasted Beets Radishes and Basil Salad will definitely be on the menu again very soon
I prefer eating beets roasted because they retain their flavor and sweetness. As far as juicing, I have not had it in a long time and truly, I am not looking forward to it. This Roasted Beets, Radishes and Basil Salad dish is very refreshing and accents any grilled meat or fish dish. Roasted Beets, Radishes and Basil Salad is made with beets, radishes, red onions, fresh basil, lemon olive oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
The taste of the fresh basil is so riveting that it freshens up your taste buds. Now I understand why Italian love using fresh basil in many of their dishes. My conception of basil has totally changed! I am so glad that I created this dish. Don’t you love it when you create something tasty and refreshing?
- 4 medium beets roasted, fully cooked, and peeled
- 2 small red onions sliced
- 1 - 8 oz bag radishes
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium red onion julienned
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat beets lightly with olive oil. Wrap beets in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 45 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the beets. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and then peel and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices and add to bowl
- Slice cleaned radishes thin and add to bowl. Add red onion to bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and basil to form dressing. Drizzle dressing on beets and radishes. Serve immediately or refrigerate before serving.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.