Roasted Butternut Squash is the perfect side dish for your weeknight dinner any time of year. Add your favorite seasoning or spices, and you have an amazing topping for salads or soups. It is also a high-carb vegetable snack when you have the munchies.
Roasted Butternut Squash is easy to make and delicious. I prefer butternut squash because of its sweet and nutty taste. It is also a great squash for soups because of its creamy texture.
What do you need to make Roasted Butternut Squash
Only 2 ingredients are needed to make this recipe for roasted squash.
- Butternut squash
- Noubess Berbere Seasoning
- Olive oil
All of the ingredients above are easy to find. Butternut squash is found in the produce aisle in your local supermarket. Olive oil can be purchased on Amazon or your local supermarket. For Noubess Berbere Seasoning, you can find it in our online store. Check out this link.
What is Berbere Seasoning?
From our online store, Berbere Seasoning is a fiery hot spice blend bursting with tons of flavor that originates in Eastern Africa, primarily Ethiopia and Eritrea. This Seasoning adds wonderful chili-based spiciness when used as a rub for red or white meats. It is also perfect for roasting, grilling, barbecuing, or pan-frying chicken. It is mostly used as a rub for red or white meat, seafood, and/or vegetable dishes. This aromatic spice is perfect for roasting, grilling, barbecuing, or pan-frying chicken.
How to roast Butternut Squash
You can purchase a whole squash or already cubed squash from your local supermarket.
To roast a butternut squash, it is necessary to clean it first. Like all vegetables, squash, whether the skin is hard or thick, must be cleaned before cutting or slicing.
I had a vinegar bottle spray on my counter I use to clean vegetables, meat, and the counter surface. It is pure vinegar, so the bottle spray is one of the most efficient ways to use pure vinegar.
After spraying the squash and rinsing it under running water, you are ready to remove the skin.
- Slice the squash in half for easy handling.
- Remove seeds and skin.
- Cut squash into 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl for seasoning.
- Add oil and seasoning and place on a baking tray.
- Roast uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork
- Roast butternut squash until golden.
How Long to Roast Butternut Squash
Roasting time will depend on the size of the cubes and the temperature of the oven. For example, 1-inch cubes will cook faster is your oven temperature is above 400 degrees Fahrenheit. If your oven temperature is about 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit the cubes will need more time to cook. Let’s go into more detail for roasting 1-inch cubes.
- 350°F for 40-45 minutes
375°F for 35-40 minutes
- 400°F for 30-35 minutes
- 425°F for 25-30 minutes
Are there any enjoyable recipes with this squash?
Of course, there is! One of my favorite recipes is the Haitian National dish served on January 1st, Soupe Joumou or Soupe de Giraumon. The English name would be calabaza soup. This soup usually contains an array of vegetables, pasta, red meat, or chicken.
Not only can you substitute butternut squash for calabaza squash, you can also serve it as a purée, as another type of soup, and add your favorite veggies and even plain topped with croutons, cheese, or apples.
If you’re looking to make a plain squash soup, you would need to add flavoring. Usually, a stock or broth would suffice. Suppose you do not have any, then use a spice blend. There are options at our online store, Noubess.com; choose your favorite.
Tips and notes
- Want to make this recipe in advance? Squash can be diced 1 day in advance. Store cubes in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to roast
- Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
- Reheat gently over low heat in a skillet on the stovetop (best option), in the oven at 350 degrees F, or in the microwave until warmed through.
Looking for ideas, try these:
- Butternut Squash Soup with Cornish Hens and Veggies
- Simple Butternut Squash Appetizer Soup
- Gemelli Pasta with Summer Squash, Roasted Chicken and Ricotta Tomato Sauce
- Calabaza Squash Soup with Beef and Veggies
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously coat two baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Place the squash cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with the Blood Orange Orange and sprinkle Noubess Berbere Seasoning. Toss to coat, and spread the cubes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, taking care that they do not overlap.
- Return the baking sheets to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven, turn the cubes with a spatula, then return to the oven, switching the pans’ positions on the upper and lower racks. Continue baking until the squash is tender, about 10 to 15 additional minutes. Serve warm
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.