Butternut Squash, a wonderful fruit but yet used as a vegetable to create many savory dishes. One butternut squash recipe in particular I enjoy often is Butternut Squash, Apple and Chicken Pan Roast. The main reason why I enjoy it so much is because of the simplicity of the dish.
Butternut Squash, Apple and Chicken Pan Roast is a one pot meal as you can also call it. You have your meat, fruit and your vegetables on one plate and the rest is history. No need to fuss about a side dish or a main dish when you have 3 ingredients in 1 meal.
Butternut Squash, Apple and Chicken Pan Roast is prepared with fresh herbs and spices that delivers a wonderful aroma not only to the chicken legs and thighs but also to the squash and apples. Whenever squash is roasted with fresh or dried herbs it is a perfect blend of sweet, spicy and salty flavors. Because squash is available all year round it is no wonder that this particular dish will be the favorite of many people.
During winter and fall months we always need a dish that does not take long to prepare and delicious to share with our family and love ones – why not prepare this one today?
The instructions for this wonderful meal are simple. The Butternut Squash, Apple and Chicken Pan Roast recipe from Food & Wine was updated by me because I always enjoy adding my own taste and a little bit of more spices.
When I first read the recipe, adding only salt, pepper and sage did not do much for me. I know that apples and squash have lots of flavors but the chicken needed something special, an all-purpose seasoning. I chose Mrs. Dash, not because it is always available in my pantry but because it has all the spices to make this chicken dish taste wonderful.
A couple of tablespoons of Mrs Dash along paprika are the spices you will need for this recipe. Roasted at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, just enough time to get dinner on the table.
Butternut Squash, Apple and Chicken Pan Roast is a wonderful dish to enjoy any day with a wonderful salad.
- 6 whole chicken legs separated 6 legs and 6 thighs (skin removed in preferred)
- 2 lemons or lime to clean chicken cut in halves
- 1 ½ tablespoon Mrs. Dash Original
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter thinly sliced
- One 1 ½ pound butternut squash peeled and cut into ¾ inch diced
- 3 Fuji Apples peeled and cut into ¾ inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the skin of the legs and thighs if preferred. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and clean with lemon or lime by rubbing halves onto pieces and each piece and squeezing the juice. Repeat or each piece. Rinse with cool water and pat dry. Set aside.
- In small bowl mix Mrs. Dash, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large roasting pan, toss the squash, apples and sage with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the chicken pieces on top of the apples and squash. Dot with the butter and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the squash and apples are tender and the chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a place and keep warm. Place the roasting pan over a burner and boil, stirring, until the pan juices are reduced, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and serve.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.