Sage chicken is a classic dish that is both flavorful and easy to make. The sage adds a warm, earthy flavor to the chicken, and the spices give it a bit of a kick. This dish is perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion. Something about the combination of chicken and sage feels “fall” to me. It goes great with various side dishes or even on its own as a main dish.
The chicken is marinated overnight for enhanced flavor with fresh lime juice, shallots, sea salt, and ground sage. One additional step is to clean the chicken with either lime or vinegar. That may make a difference, depending on your preference.
The ground sage spice is not overwhelming, even with one tablespoon. It is believed that dried spices are stronger than fresh spices. This dish welcomes the 1-tablespoon of ground sage.
The ingredients you will need for the Sage Chicken recipe:
- Pieces of Chicken: a mixture of legs, thighs, and wings
- Fresh Lime Juice: This will add a wonderful acidic flavor to the chicken
- Olive Oil: to cook the chicken and for browning.
- Seasonings: Shallots, Ground Sage, Sea Salt, Black pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper
- Oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, sage, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated 400 F oven for 45-50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
Notes and Tips
- You can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts if you prefer. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly – this will depend on the size of the chicken breast. Chicken breasts do not take a long time to cook in the oven.
- You can use dried sage if you don’t have fresh sage. Just be sure to use less, as dried sage is more potent than fresh sage.
- You can also add other spices to the chicken, such as thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
- Serve the chicken with your favorite sides, such as roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or rice.
- You can also add other herbs and spices to the chicken, such as thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
- This recipe is a great way to add flavor and excitement to your weeknight meals. It’s easy to make and can be on the table in under an hour.
So next time you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying chicken dish, try this Sage Chicken recipe with a delicious potato dish or steamed vegetables.
Note: To make a sauce to serve with the Sage Chicken, cook the marinade, add tomato paste, onions, and season to taste.
- 10 pieces Chicken mixture of legs, thighs and wings
- 2/3 cups Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Shallots chopped
- 1 tbsp Ground Sage
- 1/2 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Oil for drizzling
- Clean chicken pieces with lime or vinegar. Remove chicken skin if preferred. Pat dry and add to a large bowl with lime juice, shallots, ground sage, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and sea salt. Cover and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator or for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place in prepared baking dish, drizzle a little oil on top and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 50 – 60 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite side dish.
Let chicken marinade overnight for flavor enhancement.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.