This entree, Salted Codfish with Okra and Tomatoes is a lesson in contrasting spices and flavors. Lightly salted cod chunks mingle with the vibrant colors of tomatoes, bright and fresh okra and tangy fresh tomato chunks in every bite. A simple, comforting dinner that is very special for any weeknights.
Salted Codfish with Okra and Tomatoes is similar to Salted Codfish with a Creole Sauce. By Creole Sauce, I mean a sauce made with seasoning, fresh tomatoes or tomato paste, and onion. You can also choose not to add any veggies, and it will still be a fish dish. The addition of okra and tomatoes, two colorful vegetables, make this meal a delightful entree to serve with a side of boiled root vegetables or grains.
Salted codfish, in general, takes a long time to prepare because the fish needs to desalt. Once you are done desalting the fish, the cooking process is easy. And, you can make any of the recipes currently listed in the recipes section.
Okra, a favorite of the Caribbean
Okra is a favorite vegetable in the Caribbean. Usually cooked in stews, it makes its presence with or without meat at the dinner table. When the okra is cooked whole, I find it less gooey. Some people may differ, but I think it depends on how long and how you prepare the pods. Whether you split them in half or cut them into pieces or leave them in whole, they will still be slimy as it is sometimes described.
I have been cooking okra for years. I have found that when you slice the pods longways and rinse them in cold water, the goo is reduced. The same for when you slice them or leave them whole. The cold water I guess somewhat chocks the pods. But again the cooking method and the quality of the pods make a huge difference.
When buying fresh okra, it is best to select only the soft pods. The hard pods do not cook well at all; it is almost like eating paper. Unfortunately, with frozen okra, you won’t have the choice to select the right bag. We can only hope that all the pieces will cook evenly.
The final dish takes the final bow
The codfish, okra, and tomato take center stage in the form of a tasty stew. The fish is cooked in a mixture of Noubess Salt-Free Fish and Seafood Seasoning and Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with Herbs Blend. Next, the tomatoes make their presence by dressing up the fish. The juice adds a rich and deep flavor that helps the pods to start cooking evenly.
The stew is cooked in a deep skillet or pan. To minimize the washing of more dishes, and you can indeed serve the casserole in the skillet or the pot at the dinner table. The sides dishes or side dish should complement the whole meal. For ease of simplicity, this dish is typically served with white rice or boiled plantains.
Serve it right away! A Caribbean comfort food perfect for weeknights meal, and lent season.
- 2 pounds salted boneless codfish
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound okra or 16 oz frozen okra bag thawed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 - 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 - 3 sprigs of parsley
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon Noubess Salt-Free Fish and Seafood Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Herbs Blend
- To desalt the codfish, see the instruction here.
- Cut the top and tip of the okra if fresh, give them a quick wash and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in small chunks and set aside.
- When the codfish is desalted, shred or cut in small chunks.
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat the oil. Saute the fish with garlic Noubess Salt-Free Fish and Seafood Seasoning and Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Herbs Blend for about 3 - 5 minutes while stirring gently occasionally over low to medium heat. Add the tomatoes, onion, parsley, thyme and okra let cook for an additional 3 - 4 minutes uncovered. If you need to add more liquid for the mixture to cook, only add a small amount of hot water when necessary. Cover and cook on low for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables and fish are completely cooked. Make sure you stir the mixture occasionally during cooking, preferably with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Serve hot immediately.
[amazon_link asins=’B01APP1X2I,B0170TFNXM,B008H2JLP8,B01G4AO19K,B0090JINXS,B019ZP6Y1O,B01MRFKETW’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’us-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3e58bb28-d202-11e8-b65d-e97c62f49381′]